3D printed objects found to be toxic to fish

This would be interesting to see what develops as I utilize 3D printing for odds and ends around my fish tanks, after reading this article the conclusions are very vague in particular this portion:

Note: The researchers have not yet identified what chemicals in 3D printed plastics are toxic to fish nor at what concentration they are toxic. The embryos were placed in direct contact with the 3D printed disks, so proximity must be factored into the interpretation of the results. Also, 3D printers use a wide range of chemicals, so we do not know what 3D printed plastics are toxic.

It appears the bigger issue is with STL printing, which involves the use of resin hardening, which I could see how they may be some issues with toxicity due to what types of chemicals are used in these resins. They also don’t mention which material was used for the test. It is known that certain materials do not respond well in the reef aquarium and can be hazardous to inhabitants, 3D printed or not.

In our particular case, we use FDM which is forming an object by layers by heating and extruding thermoplastic filament. We only use ABS as that has been proven to be used in the reef aquarium with no ill effects as many of the off the shelf products today are made from ABS plastic. The chemical composition ABS is known and FDM method is only applying heat to make these objects so there are no other additives or processes chemicals used to make such objects. In regards to FDM 3D printing machines, I do not see where other chemicals are used other than the material composition themselves. I am not familiar with the STL style and how they work.

Another thing to note from this article is that the issues are found to be with direct contact of embryos to the STL plates, which I don’t think many general hobbyists who may use 3D parts in their aquarium are using them for development like that. It is not said that simply an object being submersed would have the same affects to its surrounding inhabitants.
I believe this article is premature, I think a lot more research needs to be done in regards to what exactly is the cause of the mortality they had observed before they can claim that 3D printing objects of a certain material are not suitable for aquarium use. It could come to a conclusion that x materials printed by y processes can be harmful, but not all.

With that said, like I had always mentioned it is up to the end user to decide to use anything in there tank and doing so at their own discretion. I however can personally attest to having been using 3D printed ABS float switch brackets, frag racks, breeder boxes, etc. for almost a year now will no ill effects.

My tank is full of ABS printed parts. Had 8 gallon with some brackets. No problems with fish. I wouldn't use pls plastic though.

My tank is full of ABS printed parts. Had 8 gallon with some brackets. No problems with fish. I wouldn't use pls plastic though.

I agree, PLS has been said to have a composition that will break down in saltwater and could be potentially hazardous to tank inhabitants.

Back