55 gallon custom acrylic build thread

If you still can, I would raise those 2x4 that are horizontal on the bottom. The reason; if you spill water, it will be easy to clean with paper towels and point a fan under the furniture.

With no outer skin or other bracing you have no diagonal support on your stand I would be afraid it would collapse. The 2x4 basic frame is fine but add a diagonal support.

Jim

I will be adding a diagonal brace the back wall . If you look closely each wall was built individually and squared and screwed square with 7 inch blocks on all corners. It will not rack at all right now. So until I get there and throw in the brace he will be all good. Also if you notice the floor isn't level so the outer skin has not been purchased or put on yet due to once tank is full I have spots built in for me to screw 2x4 legs to hold lvl until he moves and they can be removed and added to lvl to the new area. All out side skins will be put on after all plumbing and equipment are I stalled under the tank. The whole inside of the tank is going to be caulked and sealed and painted with water resistance paint. I hear you about bing able to blow a fan under the furniture if there is a water spill. But 2x4 on the flat have no structure to them all there strength is in the meat . Meaning it is harder to bend it the 3 1/2 inch way than the 1 1/2 inch way. If he spills water he will have to break out a shop vac . Or just call me to bring mine over!! Looking good Mitch .

If you still can, I would raise those 2x4 that are horizontal on the bottom. The reason; if you spill water, it will be easy to clean with paper towels and point a fan under the furniture.

I will run this by him maybe we can raise the whole stand up some by putting in the leveling legs a little taller!!

UPDATE:
Everything is set up now it's the waiting game (cycling).

Live rock was dropped in, and it was still really cloudy at this point.
http://imgur.com/HJtGbkf

This is my little corner of heaven haha:
http://imgur.com/aGlsUQC

Sump shot with all the equipment in it:
http://imgur.com/F1pQI4W

Running a HOB Eshopps PK-300 into a sock. I bought a Eshopps PSK-100 skimmer, and a Hydor750 Return pump back into the tank

I added more live rock and the water cleared up with the sump now running, here it is as of today:
http://imgur.com/1PiT56e

It is coming very nice !!!!

Just curiosity......Why are you setting up 2 tanks connected by cylinders ?

Thanks

Well I can't speak for him but before I sold him the tank my plan was SPS on one side and LPS on the other. I had this laying around nor being able to use it because they don't want it on the second floor of my condo. Sucks!! But I have snuck a little piece of heaven in my bedroom in a 8 gallon just coral tank. He was at my house last night so I know he isn't planing on SPS right yet. I know he loves the tank the fact that he can aqua scape two separate tanks and stock corals in two separate tanks. He has a idea of getting some coral to attach to the back sides of the tubes . I don't know about him but I am enjoying this build more than him I think.. I am so excited that the tank is in it's cycle. It is coming slowly but surly . Can't wait to start stocking the tank with him. The fact that I can buy coral for this tank and have him grow them out for me to upgrade .. When I can !! Ty so much Mitch!!

Nice !!!!

It is good to have such friends.
It doe feel great to have someone I know and who lives maybe four city blocks from me in the hobby with me . I buy corals and get deals I give him some. He buys me corals. I enjoy it a lot. Because eventually what grows in his will be fragged for mine. And what grows in mine will be fragged or his. So knowing what each one of us has for corals works in our favor. I buy what I want and he don't have . Mitch can buy what ever he wants because he likes the same LPS and softies I do!! And the fact that he is like family makes all this even better except for our significant others who get aggravated when we get together because all we talk about is reefing. Just want to say thanks Mitch !!

No Freddy, THANK YOU! You have been such a huge help throughout this whole thing. You pretty much know exactly what I am thinking so thanks for that, haha less typing for me . I'm so excited for what you were saying about dragging and swapping. One thing I was thinking about is that zooanthid garden on the tubes; how do I get light to reach them since they won't be under the spread of light, and there is that black strip about the tubes.

You know me I will think of something when we get to that stage. Right now while it is still in the cycle lets try a few things out and see what we can do to get light in there!! I will see you tomorrow after you get out of work!!

Back