70w hqi vs 150w clip on vs 4 x 39w on 29g biocube

Frag Freaks

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
So I am looking to upgrade my lighting on my 29g biocube. I have a few options I am thinking about. First would be to retro a 70w hqi into the stock hood. Second would be to remove the hood and put some type of 150 hqi fixture on there whether it be a clip on etc. Lastly would be get the nanotuners 4 x 39w compact light set up to retro in my stock hood. Now I am not looking to spend alot so I am looking on input for best economical way at getting the most light to keep a variety of corals. What would be the difference of corals I could house under each of the three options?

I wiuld go with the t5. You could house anything you wanted with them and the colors would be amazing. Do they have reflectors? The 150 watt mh would work aswell.

I topped it off every night, like, maybe a quart at the most. I checked my salinity before and after I topped it off and it was always the same. Just to make sure I did this for a couple of days and then stopped because I was getting the same results.

I have heat issue for my tank, bc29hqi . May I suggest led? Less heat, less often to chang bulb and adjustable output.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I am leaning towards the LED but I want something that would be able to house some SPS and clams etc. I guess the hard part now is determining how many LEDs would be sufficient.

From what I red 24 Cree 3w XP-G Leds is equivalent to high quality 175w MH setup. Now would that be overkill on a biocube? The tank is only 16" deep. I was thinking maybe just 12 3w LEDs which I would guess would be close to 100w MH setup. What could you keep under a 100w MH set up.

Also if i do 12 I can save some money by doing a constant current kit since I probably wouldnt have to dim them down as a result of too much light. The 24 would definitely need to be on dimmers to adjust the light accordingly.

Back