72G Bowfront Tank New Canopy and Sol Blue Retrofit

higorc

Call me IGOR :)
So, I finally found someone to build a Canopy for my 72G Bowfront Tank and I have to say I love it!
I researched a design online and came up with a final plan on how I wanted it built and so far I am very happy with it.
Finally, I upgraded my LED lighting to a pair of AI Sol Blue and retrofitted it into the canopy. I tried to keep it really simple and effective and everything seems good so far.

I went to Home Depot and picked up a Ceiling Lighting Track (Plastic+Aluminum) with some stainless steel washers ( I believe 5/8ths) and it fit perfectly the Sols using the OEM bolts that screws right into the Sol’s heatsink panel and slides right into the Lighting Track.

IMAG1190.jpg

IMAG1193.jpg

Lighting Track

IMAG1195.jpg

After I had both lights secured to the track, with just enough slack to slide them back and forth, I screwed the track on to the canopy, installed a little desk fan I bought at Walmart for $15 and done.
This is how my previous LEDs were on the tank.

IMAG1206-1.jpg

They had no optics, so I couldn’t raise the up or the light would flood my entire living room.

These are the Sol Blues mounted 12” above water level.

IMAG1241.jpg

IMAG1236.jpg

IMAG1238.jpg

Fan

IMAG1242.jpg

IMAG1237.jpg

I have to say, the optics really make a difference focusing the light on the tank. I mainly had the Canopy build to keep the light from flooding the room, but it doesn’t happen at all with the Sols.

This shows the vents on top of the canopy

IMAG1255.jpg

IMAG1257.jpg

So far I haven’t noticed any heat issues, and I positioned the fan right under a vent for fresh air. Plus, both Sol’s Heatsink fans are right under the other 2 air vent. Hopefully this will keep the tank cool even on hot days.

wow major improvement looks-wise, can't wait to get my canopy finished so i'm not looking at wires and heatsinks all day.

is it just me or does the front part not close all the way? or is it just something needs a little tweaking since you just got the canopy set up?

It does close all the way. I just didn't do it.

And it does make a big difference. It looks a lot better!

Higor's EVO 3D

Thanks man!!! Nice meeting u today!!! Btw, love u tank and the Tangs man!!! Really nice!!!!

Higor's EVO 3D

Nice tuck job on the lights!

I was going to ask why you got rid of those LEDs until I read they had no optics.
Shame they didn't. The new ones do from a certain company (go figure) but never the less AI SOLs are FAR better quality I would imagine. Plus they are far more programmable.

I'm gonna say this... I have no regrets owning my " Chinese cheap eBay's LEDs. Not what so ever. But I really LUV the AIs... The ramping and programability... Is awesome. Plus the corals love it... It's been close to 2 months now and everything is really happy...

Higor's EVO 3D

Yeah I have seen how in depth the features and customizablility and programming is with the AIs and it's just incredible. IIRC you can plug them into a computer and make your own lighting charts with some software too, unless that was with the AI Vega only or something. Or was that the Radions... IDK anymore lol i've looked at too many LED units in the past month.

I never programmed my AIs through the pc. I know the Radions have a pc interface. They r really nice as well. The AIs r easy enough to program through their controller. And i love the optics. Virtually no light spill past the tank! U can easily use them with out the canopy. As with my other LEDs with no optics, the light spilled all over the room...

Higor's EVO 3D

Back