75g build thread

jason401

Non-member
light test..day one of a busy upcoming week! been piecing together this build for awhile now.. hopefully she will be full of water by the weekend. i will be posting my progress here as a build thread! wish me luck on my first RR large tank

:cool:

Attachments

• photo-7.JPG
    photo-7.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,064
  • photo-8.JPG
    photo-8.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,043
looks good! i just set up a 75 g tank to! mines just got the blacked out back and a built in overflow. good luck with yours!!

would this be considered as a corner or middle overflow? as its not quite corner or middle? lol

Gee, what is taking sooooo long. You slapped together junk quicker on Sunday to come up with a system. I am only kidding.

Keep the pictures and progress coming.

Looks like you are already sleeping on the job ;) Just kidding but I am following along, I have a 75 as well with a glass holes overflow not a built in overflow but interested how your setup goes. I'm using a 30 gal as a sump and not very happy with the amount of space it leaves me inside the cabinet, I can't even get the skimmer cup out of their luckily it has a hole in the cup to drain into a bucket otherwise it would be a pain to have to empty it.

Looks like you are already sleeping on the job ;) Just kidding but I am following along, I have a 75 as well with a glass holes overflow not a built in overflow but interested how your setup goes. I'm using a 30 gal as a sump and not very happy with the amount of space it leaves me inside the cabinet, I can't even get the skimmer cup out of their luckily it has a hole in the cup to drain into a bucket otherwise it would be a pain to have to empty it.

i plan on using a 29g i have to turn into a sump/refuge. is your stand shallow/short? for the skimmer problem? or are you running a monster skimmer? can post a pic?

IMG_0337.jpg

Here it is, the stand which came with the tank I believe originally came from Petsmart but it was one of those ones with shelfs right in the middle of the stand (like this one but in black http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752311). I also didnt like the flimsy construction so I rebuilt it with 2x4's but reused the sides, doors, & top but with the 2x4's in the inside I lost a few inches of space. If I could do it again (and probably could still do if I drain and take apart the sump) I would not put the bottom shelf on top of the 2x4's but just let the 30 gallon sit on the floor or a piece of foam saving 3.5" of space which would probably be enough to take apart and remove the skimmer. The skimmer is just a regular Reef Octopus NWB-150 nothing special or big. The other thing you may notice in the return section is that I just got a reactor that I can't find a location to mount it so its gotta just sit in there and will be a nuisance to change the media.

holy moly, yea that looks tight bro.. hows that skimmer working out for you? that is the one im looking to purchase also. i think my stand was built by a local reefer a long time ago. its still solid and i will double check the height to make sure skimmer fits with ease. thank you for the skimmer height heads up. is that a gfo reactor? i was thinking of getting the dual with carbon, but also read that its a pain because of buildup. brs suggests getting two single units

I like the skimmer, was very frustrating in the beginning while it broke in and was constantly overflowing but once it broke in and I got it dialed in it work beautiful. If you decide to go with that one let me know and I will tell you how high my baffle walls are as I think its the perfect height. Also not sure if you can see but this one is modded to help with the splashing noise (left side you will a piece of pvc with a cap), again let me know if you decide to go that route and will send details on that as well. The reactor is the BRS deluxe model which I just bought from Matt, it cun run carbon, gfo, or both. Matt gave me his container of carbon so thats what I'm currently running until I order some GFO. I'm wondering about your thought on using the 29, its 6 inches shorter then a 30 but 2" higher. The issue I might see is you might want the additional length vs height especially where the height doesn't really matter in terms of volume in the sump. When the return pump turns off and the water overflows from the display it almost reaches the top of the middle baffle on the left. Also the way I set mine up I have to put the skimmer at an angle and not straight if I had to lose 6" in length it might be tight in there but the extra 6" in the cabinet might be useful to mount reactors and such. Just my 2 cents and like I said I'm tagging along to see how you make out and see if I want to change something with my setup, I know petco was running the 1 gal sale not sure if its still going on but just food for thought.

Back