90g stand rotting away. Need some help ASAP please!

RockD2

BRS Member
My 90 gallon standard tank stand is rotting away before my eyes! I just cleaned out my sump and noticed a lot of water sitting in the cabinet. Its a particle board blue ocean cabinet. The walls and the supports are starting to swell. I'm going away on my Honeymoon soon and want to replace it ASAP! Are there any stands out there in the RI or southern MA area that you can part with. Please let me know.
Thanks Rocco

If there is water just sitting in the stand I would check for leaks. That's not normal. Check all your connections.

We'll I don't have a stand buuut.... Maybe this will help. You have two options brace the stand heavily and wrap it in some plywood temporarily, or find a stand, empty the tank and replace stand and re-fill tank. Full that tank probably sighs around 1400 lbs. good luck hope you get it fixed soon

Just buy a new tank and stand and transfer it over and sell the 90g. Cost will be a little higher bit will save you lots of headaches

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping to just drain the tanks take out the rocks and slide the tank into a new stand. I wonder if a whole new system is the way to go? I'll try and get some pics tonight. Maybe I'm overreacting. The swelling panels make me nervous. My wedding is in a couple weeks. I don't have a lot of energy to spend on this. But I can't be away on vacation stressing over a 90 gallon melt down.

I would definitely plan on replacing that stand asap. That particle board is garbage once it gets wet. I think it's definitely possible to drain it take out the rocks and swap the stand. That's what I would do if it were me.

Particle board should never been used for saltwater stand.
I have a metal stand that will fit a standard 90g if you are interested.

My $8000 Elos tank comes with particle board stand. I had no issue with my previous Elos which ran for 6 years. The laminate used is key if stand is particle board.
But if your stand is starting to rot. Replace it with a new one. It shouldn't even be any question.

I am pretty sure he has the one with the clear particle board in the inside. But particle board is fine until it gets wet, then it is ticking time bomb.

And the Elos one @ 8k it better last ;) But that is like comparing a hyundia sonata to a Maybach

Last edited:
My $8000 Elos tank comes with particle board stand. I had no issue with my previous Elos which ran for 6 years. The laminate used is key if stand is particle board.
But if your stand is starting to rot. Replace it with a new one. It shouldn't even be any question.

We know you are loaded, so please don't need to show off your $8000 particle board.

Particleboard sucks. I recently got a 40 breeder off a member that had a rotten stand (and a ton of mold). Sanded the entire inside of the stand, and Replaced the bottom with pressure treated plywood and painted the whole inside of the tank with semi gloss exterior paint. (Seals all the wood and easily cleanable) very happy with how it came out.

ANY particle board that was exposed to water WILL DEGRADE in time, it might look fine today, and tomorrow, and the day after, until one day, while looking just fine, it will simply let go in a catastrophic way and you'll find the tank on top of a pile or broken board on the floor; I hope that moment does NOT come when you are "digging in your sump". If you have interest in why it happens look up the stories of people falling through the floor, with the tub and the whole shebang, while taking a shower, in newer buildings where the floor joists were made out of laminated particle board. Strong, light, dimensionally stable but, only under dry exposure only.

We know you are loaded, so please don't need to show off your $8000 particle board.

Dong, please don't start a hate post. I don't believe I'm showing off anything but rather stating the fact that particle boards can be made strong and long lasting and withstand to some moisture. Like anything else that is manmade, it can be poor quality or of high quality. If you have a problem with me disagreeing with your belief, PM me.
You and I both know that if you wanted to, you could've bought 10 of the Elos. You don't have to be loaded to be spending money. It's the contrary actually.

Thanks for all the input! I think the best route for me is to just get a quick replacement stand and have a nice one built down the road when I have more time to invest in an upgrade. I can drain the water, take the big rocks out and carefully slide it on to the new stand ( at least thats the plan).
DZ6t check your inbox!

Dong, please don't start a hate post. I don't believe I'm showing off anything but rather stating the fact that particle boards can be made strong and long lasting and withstand to some moisture. Like anything else that is manmade, it can be poor quality or of high quality. If you have a problem with me disagreeing with your belief, PM me.
You and I both know that if you wanted to, you could've bought 10 of the Elos. You don't have to be loaded to be spending money. It's the contrary actually.

Sorry, forgot to put a LOL, it was meant to be a joke

Back