911 Major Help!!!

niakon22

Reefer
I have had my tank for 1.5 months I started with 2 clowns.. everythign been runnign good never had an issue.. all of sudden slowly all my fish started to die.. I had a 2 wrase die. a tang. then my 2 clows are now dead.. only thign left is the yw goby... At first my PH was low so i got it back to normal levels. and i notice that the fish start to look dusty white or lightly with white crystals almost like ich but i dont think.. could it kill these fish that fast.. err so upset note sure what to do. should i do a serious water chagne!!!!!

How long was the tank set up total? 1.5 months? Shouldnt really have anything in there yet if thats the case. The tank is prob still cycling. Id do a big water change and then test everything. Tell us more about your system.

I have setup tanks a few times and never ran into a issue like this.. and this is horrible pissing me off

I agree with S_Kelly. I had my setup with only live rock and live sand for the first month. Then I only introduced some snails for another month testing weekly to ensure I hit the cycling spike. How did you cycle the tank when starting? Did you use live rock? A dead frozen shrimp? Did you levels ever fully spike?

+1 if it has only been setup for a month and a half there should not be any fish in it. I would say an ammonia spike.

Your definitely rushing things at the expense of your fish and your enjoyment of the hobby. Is this the 37g Marineland tank you got recently? If so it appears that you added the 1st fish (Wrasse) a couple weeks after setting it up and any tang IMO is to big for the tank, major stress for them. IMO you need to slow down and maybe start over, let the tank fully cycle.

You were lucky to got away with it several times. When I start tanks I usually let it run for a minimum of two months with skimming, minimum lighting before I put any livestock in it. Us in the west have no patience. Tony Vergas at the last meeting told everyone something I already knew. In Europe they let a tank run 90-180 days with no lights or livestock and let the pods and other microscopic organisms in the rock multiply to extreme levels. Then when you turn the lights on and start adding livestock VERY SLOWLY the system is able to handle it.
Sorry to hear about your loss. Re-group, catch your breathe and count it as a lesson learned. Don't let it discourage you.
I've been doing this for 21 years and I could fill a notebook full of all the mistakes I've made in hindsight. The biggest this I've learn is slow, slow, slow, slow, patience, patience, patience. All changes must be made slowly. The ocean doesn't have radical water parameter swing and marine species can't handle that. Some of my corals are recovering from being burnt by LEDs and alk swings so I'm still learning!

Last edited:
I am not sure!!! My PH was so low that i had the LPS test it and it didnt even show up... So i raised the PH level back to normal.. I dont know my ALK levels.. I will need to get a full force testing kit..

Be careful how quickly you adjust levels, getting to the right levels when there is livestock needs to be done slowly.

At first my PH was low so i got it back to normal levels. and i notice that the fish start to look dusty white

Guessing the "powder" was the residue from raising ph and things got shocked.Take it easy and slow nothing happens quickly in this hobby.When in doubt ask about.There are no bumb questions just dumb answeres.:rolleyes:Sorrow for your losses.

+1 on raising the ph to fast, If you dosed with a buffer you should have gone slowly and not tried to reach optimum level right away. you can also purchase good bacteria in a bottle to help your tank its about $30.00 a bottle.
sorry for your losses and Good Luck!
Bill

I am not sure!!! My PH was so low that i had the LPS test it and it didnt even show up... So i raised the PH level back to normal.. I dont know my ALK levels.. I will need to get a full force testing kit..

Yup,that will do it.
You need to know your level.PH means diddly.
Just get the alk correct and put the PH kit on the back shelve.
I rarely and I mean rarely check my PH.Only alk,calcium and Mg. mostly.
I'm thinking your alk is probably 14+ dkh.
A test kit from API is only like $7.99 and is very simple to use,count the drops till color change.

Back