A bit of a problem with my SPS

Syris

FishboyBill
A couple days ago I noticed a few of my SPS had tips turning white with flesh coming off. This included some milies, encrusting montis, a monti cap, and my purple pillow.
My parameters check out good:
Temp 79F
Sal 1.024
Alk 10.2 dKH
Ca 410
Mg 1320
aslo tank is 11 months old.

The only thing that has happened in the last few weeks is MG was low ~1130 and I bumped it up with MAG flake/Epsoms salt over a couple days. And also I run a Rio 600? in my auto topoff RO/DI container that fried when the float switch stuck and dumped about 5gals of Kalkwasser into the tank.
The Rio was running dry by the time I got home and had a distinctive eletrical odor. I didnt think too much of it because I felt that none of it got into the tank but wondering if I am wrong. Anyway the Rio was replaced and the topoff container cleaned.
I have done a 20% WC and curently running carbon.
Do you think the Rio is the culprit to the tissue recession I am seeing or was it too rapid of a change on the MG? Should I do more aggresive water changes?

TIA

I'm not sure if its the rio or not. But did u find any funk in your top off bucket?
I woud do another WC or 2 run as much carbon as I can. If you have any poly filters I would use it too.

As far as the mag being too low I dont think it would affect the corals like that.

good luck Bill

PS did u through out that rio or reused it?

Second that

I'm not sure if its the rio or not. But did u find any funk in your top off bucket?
I woud do another WC or 2 run as much carbon as I can. If you have any poly filters I would use it too.

As far as the mag being too low I dont think it would affect the corals like that.

good luck Bill

PS did u through out that rio or reused it?

I agree! Also hows those bulbs?

I had a problem with SPS a while ago directly related to my filter membranes. The TDS of my DI water was fine, about 1-2 ppm. But, from further inspoection, the sediment and carbon filters, which admittedly were a bit old, were supplying the RO with yellowish water (water from RO DI was nice and clear). I changed the filters and the problem went away. I have no idea what would have been making it into the water that could not be detected by my TDS meter, but it was having a grim affect on the SPS's. Now, seeing as these cartridges are so cheap, I change them every 2 months.

This may not be your issue but is a good thing to keep in mind.

JD

Last edited:
Richard

No funk in top off tub because it was empty which is what caused the Rio to overheat and crack the resin around its coil. It was still trying to run so maybe some residual water made it to the tank. I threw out that Rio and I am using a second one I had. I also washed out the tub.

DHW,

Bulbs are CV Reeflux 10ks and 12k only ~3-4 months old same with VHOs.

JD46,

My RO/DI water TDS is 0 and the prefilters dont look dirty but I guess it wouldnt hurt to change them.

The trigger for me to change them was to disconnect the tube just prior to water going into the RO housing. It was ugly. Maybe take a look there before changing. However, my theory now is that cartridges are cheap so change often.

Good Luck

JD

Not sure what the problem was, but I really doubt it was the magnesium addition.

I'd also say that maybe just maybe the 5 gal of kalkwasser that dumped into the tank may have some thing to do with it. Ph spike, alk spike, kalk burnt tips on corals? Iagre with reefermedic and liam

did u say that the pump fried and dumped 5 gals of kalk. into your tank? if thats the case it was probubly the spike in ph and carbonates from the kalkwasser. that burned your corals. i dont know just putting in my 2 cents

Yeah Im not sure what the exact problem was. But it is very possible that a spike started the problems.
Currently everything is doing good again. Tips all stopped receding a few days ago. There was one loss, my pink milli:(
I really need to get a 2nd float switch to protect against the 1st one getting stuck on occasion.

Back