A few thoughts for people setting up new tanks

Takara

Non-member
#1 don't let your sand go higher than the trim, algae will grow there and make it look like butt

#2 don't put your rock work within' 2.5" of the glass, you will get frustrated and never clean it

#3 don't over look flow, it can make or break your tank

#4 don't waste your time with PC lights

#5 you can never have too many heaters, if you can hide one in the display in-case the return pump dies you won't loose temp

#6 you don't need a controller unless you have too much time on your hands or you have some money to play with

#7 sht happens, in this hobby you win some, and you loose some

I could not agree more with #'s 2, 3, 4, and 7. However I think controllers make you life MUCH, MUCH easier, and I don't see how you can go without one especially if you run multiple heaters like you are suggesting. Heaters do tend to get stuck on occasionally.

Of course keep in mind that a heater that sticks ON is worse than no heater.

Think of Mr. Murphy often, his law loves people who like to keep delicate marine creatures in little glass boxes :)

true,
when I had a freshwater tank years ago I did unfortunatley make Bouillabaisse unknowlingly

Personally i think controllers helps stabilize your tank. Even a reef keeper lite is a good investment for the long run. Some many vacation disaster stories!!

I agree with most of the points but NEVER Trust a heater. That is why #6 is so wrong in my opinion. I got a used RK2 and i have my heaters set at one temp and my RK shuts them off at slightly higher then that in case one heater sticks. Heaters are Notorious for breaking/sticking/whatever. so $150 for a used RK2 which is a failsafe for my heaters, and controls Lights, Skimmer, pump, etc.... is well worth it.

I agree with most of the points but NEVER Trust a heater. That is why #6 is so wrong in my opinion. I got a used RK2 and i have my heaters set at one temp and my RK shuts them off at slightly higher then that in case one heater sticks. Heaters are Notorious for breaking/sticking/whatever. so $150 for a used RK2 which is a failsafe for my heaters, and controls Lights, Skimmer, pump, etc.... is well worth it.

I also believed controllers were for people with to much money, but other than an RODI I wouldnt have a tank without one. It is the best investment I ever made in my tank. It makes having one much more enjoyable. The simple fact that it can control my heaters, and lights alone makes it worth every penny.

Ill second what Rob and Derek said, my reefkeeper controlls everything, one of the best investments ive made.

Yup,
... CAN'T possibly agree with #5, and to a lesser extent, #6
When a heater fails what happens (mostly)? They either come apart and pollute, or the thermostat contacts fuse (stays on), or the element opens (stays off). What we read about most is the first 2.
Every additional heater in a reef system increases the chances of having one of these failures.

I'm a 1 heater guy. :)

True, you don't NEED a controller, but in the long run, I think the system is more enjoyable, more stable, and safer.

There may be other items we don't need, but make captive reef keeping more enjoyable and safer. A Calcium or mineral reactor (more appropriate term) is a god-send once you get tired of making adds every day. Sure, you can automate your adds, but to me it makes more sense to dissolve coral skeletons that basically have all of the minerals we deplete. Once a reactor is dialed in stability is much better.

In reference to #1: honestly, sand is a personal preference. Many like the added denitrification that a deep sand bed offers. Others like to keep certain species of fish/inverts that require deeper sandbeds. Its better to determine what you want from your sandbed and then decide...rather than to throw out a blanket statement that deepsand beds are ugly and dont use them; thats your opinion.

BTW I love my RK2, 1 of the best investments I made. The control I have over my tank is a godsent. I would never go back to reefing without some type of controller. I would defintely start a tank with a controller and wait on livestock knowing what I know now.

Last edited:
Yeah definitely on the "disagree with #6" bandwagon.

But in regards to #5" Oh man you are so right. Let me rephrase it a bit to make my point:

"#5 you can never have too many heaters, if you can hide one in the display in-case the return pump dies you won't loose temp while you're on vacation for a week and a half in march and at the exact time the heat in your house decides to stop working too."

If I hadn't tossed a heater in the DT before I left, I'd have come home to 100% loss.

FWIW i dont even run 1 heater nevermind 2 and havent in 3+ YEARS, with MH lighting and no basement sump they are not always needed and its another thing that i dont have to worry about and not to mention they draw a ton of power

I'll add;

Having a net connected controller is also nice because you can check your system's status from anywhere with a internet connection. That won't tell you everything, but it will tell you if the power is out, if the temp is off, if the PH is off, and in general can tell you when you might need to call your tank sitter in a hurry :)

I'll add;

Having a net connected controller is also nice because you can check your system's status from anywhere with a internet connection. That won't tell you everything, but it will tell you if the power is out, if the temp is off, if the PH is off, and in general can tell you when you might need to call your tank sitter in a hurry :)
hmmm never thought about that. might have to get the net for my RK2 still have room on it or upgrade to the elite. but my modem it 25ft away. any thought

Run a cable connection. For me it was 100' of cat5 and connectors. A little work, but well worth it.

The flaw in the net connection is that if the power goes out you don't have that connection anymore. Of course, if you can't access your controller remotely, that tells you that there is a good chance the power is out and it might be time to call the tank sitter.

ok ill look in to the net thing now always wanted it but just never did it. you bring up good points. but still have to set up the tank in the new place moving it sunday its empty and the new marco hase been cooking for two month i cant wait to start over

Back