a frag "bank"

nitrofish

reefing again!
what do you do if you where to get a rare coral frag,but you want to make sure that if your tank crashes, you can get back your favorite corals?

I was thinking there must be someone you could give frags to hold for safekeeping, someone who has a really stable tank.

who would you give your coral to ?

First you would need to keep your tank stable enough to grow out that frag so you can frag it...

Even a stable tank could crash. Murphy's law likes reef keepers....

IMO The only way to be sure you would get a piece back is to spread it as much as you can and hope for the best...

IMO a lot of the so called rare corals are far from rare. Just pretty corals with a large price tag.

That's what friends are for. I have given friends frags of corals, knowing that if I had ever had a tank crash or just lost a particular coral, I could always get a frag back.

Jeff, I have plenty of room in my tank... ;)

Jeff,

I have local friends who I trust and frag my rare pieces as a back up (I plan to frag everything when each gets big enough to cut a piece off). There's no 100% guarantee in any plan but a plan is better than none.

I don't really have anything special, but I want to make sure that if I ever get something expencive , that I had insurance.

now there is an idea for a business. The first national Frag bank of Boston. We're here so when your tank crashes you 've got a reserve. HMMM I wonder what you could charge for that...$30 deposit 20$ monthly fee per frag ( Maintanence and up keep)
Oh yea we'll have to charge you insurance in case our tanks crap out too! 300$ lifetime.
OH yeah interest is at the fixed rate of 1.5 percent per year so if your investment grows any faster than that I get to keep the rest.

by the way have you seen my other business? first national frag farm of Boston? we specialize in rare corals. :)

the saddest part is it would work..

until the frag bank crashes...then your in trouble, or it gets robbed....hahahaha!
I have a couple of pieces i really like, nothing fancy, but my solution was to have two tanks in my house, both have a little of whats in in both just in case!
I don't have big tanks, but if they both were in one I would have a ninety gallon tank.
This was my solution, well that and having a few close friends in the hobby that have a little of what i got in mine, and same for them.

I think a master list of corals that are kept club wide would be a great idea...
it could list the coral name, and then the members that have it in their systems.
Just an idea...
wouldn't it be fun to know how many different species the BRS supports?

I can tell you where mine go (SPS) anyway ..................Lam :)
as for my zoas and such I have a few friends that I give them to so I know that if anything happens I could always send out a cry and I would have backups available ..

dad300 said:
now there is an idea for a business. The first national Frag bank of Boston. We're here so when your tank crashes you 've got a reserve.

the saddest part is it would work..

id be crazy enough to deposit a coral or two. how they could maintan the upkeep it to frag corals in their "bank" kind of like giving loans in a regular bank.

Back