A little trick for those of you with screw top kalk reactors

Aquaman_68

too many gadgets to fail
If your like many, over time the threads on the flange to your kalkwasser reactor may become saturated with Kalk liquid. This liquid over time will add a layer of dried kalk paste to threads preventing you from turning the dreaded plastic screws down on the lid with ease. Eventually they will become fused in the lid or you will not be able to fasten the lid down tight which could cause leaks...

I found an easy remedy for this that allows you to keep the unit in it's natural service position. No need to break the unit down to soak the top in a acid based solution. (white vinegar/ or lemon juice)
You will need cotton swabs, distilled vinegar or lemon juice, & some petroleum jelly.

I take the cotton swabs & dunk them into the vinegar jar as follows. (make sure you get them nice & saturated)

Attachments

• MVC-019S.JPG
    MVC-019S.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Than you fit them into the lid as shown. (be careful not to drop one in the Kalk reactor or you will need to drain & clean the unit due to the contamination from the vinegar.)

Leaving them in this position for at least an hour or two... (you can also re soak the swabs after an hour for stubborn film) You can also replace them with new freshly soaked swabs at that time if you desire!!

Attachments

• MVC-018S.JPG
    MVC-018S.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Aftre the soaking period is done it is suggested that you run the screws thru the threaded holes a couple times to break up the kalk film. Once that has been done take another swab & dip it in a jar of pertroleum jelly & coat the threaded holes with this.

Attachments

• MVC-020S.JPG
    MVC-020S.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 263
After you have spread a film of petroleum jelly to the threads your lid is ready to be fastened back on the unit. (with ease!!)

Make sure you wipe the mated surfaces clean of the petroleum jelly... (where the gasket will seat.....probably won't matter but some gasket materials are not freindly to petroleum based products.....)

This method can be used with most threaded holes that become tough to put a screw in. (as long as the problem lies in clogged or caked up threads!!!)

HTH ;)

B

Attachments

• MVC-022S.JPG
    MVC-022S.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 257
Brian, great idea with the Q tips.

I've got a couple sticky holes on my skimmer that will be getting that treatment tommorow. thks

Back