Acan Spawn?

Jbissell1289

the_Great_Bissell_Reef
BRS Member
Do you guys think these may be acan spawns? Second pic is the suspected parent. The frag is a dead skeleton of a war paint favites. Pretty sure that’s not it.
7E9939C5-D76F-4469-BD0B-E5F663ADBE3D.jpeg
E1B94B4C-A456-4704-AF9E-4074E9ED7DA2.jpeg

Hard to say for sure. Does certainly look like you've got some form of coral growing on that plug. Theres' a decent chance that it might be the original coral on that plug. Sometimes things regress to the point of almost disappearing and make a comeback.

True coral spawning events, where eggs and sperm meet and form a free-swimming larva for a while before it settles are extremely rare in reef aquaria, for a lot of reasons. I've had quite a number of polyp bailout type events, or even what you might can an asexual spawn. I've had a lot of snails, urchins and clams spawn. I think I even had an anemone put out sperm once. Pocillipora damicornis is well known for polyp bail out, I've had plenty of that, with colonies forming on power heads and aquarium walls, etc. I also had a non-photosynthetic orange Tubastrea asexually spawn and ended up with little colonies all over the tank. A pain to feed all of them!

Hard to say for sure. Does certainly look like you've got some form of coral growing on that plug. Theres' a decent chance that it might be the original coral on that plug. Sometimes things regress to the point of almost disappearing and make a comeback.

True coral spawning events, where eggs and sperm meet and form a free-swimming larva for a while before it settles are extremely rare in reef aquaria, for a lot of reasons. I've had quite a number of polyp bailout type events, or even what you might can an asexual spawn. I've had a lot of snails, urchins and clams spawn. I think I even had an anemone put out sperm once. Pocillipora damicornis is well known for polyp bail out, I've had plenty of that, with colonies forming on power heads and aquarium walls, etc. I also had a non-photosynthetic orange Tubastrea asexually spawn and ended up with little colonies all over the tank. A pain to feed all of them!
Yep I have pocilopora all over my tank... a little annoying sometimes. I’ve been going back and forth on if it’s the original war paint Favia or one of my acans that spawned. I’m starting to lean toward acan though as the tissue is more red/orange like my rainbow acan. Not really maroon.

tissue also looks a lot more puffy like acan than Favia. Just tried to feed and definitely eating like acan. Lol
2C7667D9-0129-476E-90DB-8AADD96C24C7.jpeg
58ABF12D-1DFF-4D19-9300-343F21959CE0.jpeg

Back