Acro Coral - Stressed?

lactrain

Moberator in training
About two weeks ago my main return pump died and left my tanks water level about an inch or two lower then the normal level leaving the tips of some of my across (Mainly my tri color/Larry Jackson in the upper right hand corner of my tank) exposed to the elements.

The shutdown was only hour?s maybe 3 ? 5 prior to me getting it back up and running and an immediate water change was performed just cause I had one in the works. Temp drop was minimal and all other inhabitants seem OK.

I?m guessing this was the cause, because there is a fairly clear definitive line across most of the tips.

My question is the tips on the Acro coral now seem to be dieing what action should I take if any?

>I think I would frag off the dying tips. The acro will regrow from the cuts. <

Agreed, otherwise algae can sometimes take hold on the dead areas.

>I think I would frag off the dying tips. The acro will regrow from the cuts. <

Agreed, otherwise algae can sometimes take hold on the dead areas.

What effect would having algae on dead areas do to the coral? I ask this because I have a purple cap that has a few areas that turned white and now have algae on the spots and am wondering if I too should frag those spots off. The spots don't seem to be getting worse.

If the algae grows quickly it can make it difficult for the coral to grow and encrust over the dead skeleton. If the algae is really taking off it can shade/suffocate the coral tissue it's next to and cause it to recede. Ultimately, the coral will probably look more natural if you cut the dead tips back to live tissue so you don't have thick re-encrusted tips on your otherwise normal branches.

Back