ACRO problems

astranotus

Non-member
I have been having problems with my acros lately...receding and to the point where i can see the flesh peeling away and flapping in the currents on the body of the acros...like skin peeling away after a sunburn..I have checked for acro eating flatworms and don't have them...Perameters are all in order and have my Ca reactor doing what it is meant to do for the past several days...a recent water change....But they still recede Undecided...I have noticed that my phosphate level is a bit high..it's at 2.0 (+)..maybe 3.0..So my question is ...how influential in the health of acros (SPS) of the phosphate level...by right I should have "0" phosphate..but don't know the affects of higher levels.....any help or info would be appreciated...
PS..they do great for a month then start receding..all polyps out colorful etc.. then...crap.:(

Not sure what you mean by phosphate at '2.0'. Need units. If you infact mean 2.0 ppm, yes, I'm pretty sure you would not have Acropora surviving, but I find it pretty hard to believe your phosphate is at 2.0 ppm. Very high phosphate levels can 'poison' the growing surface of the calcium carbonate crystal as a coral is attempting to deposit it, making it impossible for the coral to grow.

Yes..ppm..I dont understand ? why is it hard to believe it is at 2.0??? I read that phosphate can accumulate (build up) in Larger aquariums over time...its a 275....
My Ca level is at 450...So Phosphate can inhibit the intake of the Ca...even if present causing the acros to recede and die after a period of time?

Yes, 2ppm is high and can cause issues. I shoot for .02-.03ppm in my SPS tank.

ALK is usually able to do more damage. What is your ALK level?

even if you have calcium in your water corals will not be able to take it up if the phosphate is too high, and 2 ppm is off the charts.
would you happen to feed a lot of krill? that stuff is like pure phosphates

It is new..I have had it running for like 2 1/2 weeks...and had a Ca of 350 before that....The dKH is 9...I have a phosban 150...I plan on running..do you think that will be sufficient enough to at least bring the phosphates to a safer level...its a 275 w/ a 75 sump

Oh...:p..still a newbie;)..Now I HAVENT BOUGHT ONE YET..BUT i AM REALIZING MY MISTAKE AND HOW NEEDED THEY REALLY ARE...I have been reading a book on marine water chemistry..which has been helping...I can't believe that it got that high ....SO installing a phosban reactor, water changes frequently and reducing feeding...and hopefully next week a RODI unit...

interesting that you chose stonies as your first corals
what is your lighting and other water parameters

Back