Acro problems... Ballon tips?

JasonandSarah

Non-member
I have this acro that's acting funny and getting Ballon tips. I've asked a few people I know and no one seems to really know what it is? It's been like this awhile but it's still growing great and coloration is the best it's ever been?
If I touch the tips it's like a hard sponge and it releases stuff. It's only on the tips that are highest on the colony so first thought is light, but I used to have this acro high in my tank and didn't really have this problem? Now it's on my sand bed where it gets the best color.
Kinda stumped because the stuff I've read online says it's normally from elevated Cal, Alk or Mag and I did just find my Cal at 500 last week. But I've seen this before on this colony when my levels weren't elevated and I've got my levels bank in check but it's still doing it. so again I'm stumped?

This is what it does if I touch the tips?

One of my friends thought the same thing, but another person I talked to said he's seen Sps spawn and they didn't display this behavior?
That would be awesome if it was though. Just because it wouldn't be something bad.

There are a few inquiries similar to this on the net that point towards high Magnesium... They suggest testing your Mag with another kit to rule that out.

It is early in the day and I am sure someone else will chime in shortly.

Good Luck!

It looks like a gall which usually forms when there is a bacteria problem in/on the acro. When you touch it you're puncturing the sac and releasing what it is trying to contain. I'm no scientist but a QT is a good option. I assume dipping is the proper treatment but i don't know what the infection is so I don't know what kind of dip.

Maybe some one else will know.

It looks like a gall which usually forms when there is a bacteria problem in/on the acro. When you touch it you're puncturing the sac and releasing what it is trying to contain. I'm no scientist but a QT is a good option. I assume dipping is the proper treatment but i don't know what the infection is so I don't know what kind of dip.

Maybe some one else will know.

Interesting. Mine doesn't do anything when you touch it though. More reading to do I guess.

It looks like an infection to me. The coral tissue is separating from the skeleton. Normally is not a good sign, sorry to say that.

double check your calcium magnesium and alkalinity.When i had my tank full of acros,some of them was like that and the culprit was the alkalinity.After i correct the alk to 9 it went back to normal after about 3 1/2 weeks

double check your calcium magnesium and alkalinity.When i had my tank full of acros,some of them was like that and the culprit was the alkalinity.After i correct the alk to 9 it went back to normal after about 3 1/2 weeks

There are a few inquiries similar to this on the net that point towards high Magnesium... They suggest testing your Mag with another kit to rule that out.

It is early in the day and I am sure someone else will chime in shortly.

Good Luck!
Yeah this is my thoughts.^^^
I've had this very same acro do this before and never any negative effects? Never had it spread either so I'm hoping it isn't bacterial.
My parameters are back in check and I'm going to dip it tommorow Just because. Wish me luck and ty to everyone for chiming in, much appreciated! :)

Last night I did an iodine dip and let's just at my Acro wasn't feeling it at all! Slimed quite a bit but then bounced back. Lost a little color but has good PE back already, so I'll hope for the best.

Hopefully that does it

I would ask, while you are waiting out the results
What your parameters are?
Is the coral is actually growing or just surviving?
Have you fragged it? If so how did the coral respond?
What corals are near it?
Are you carbon dosing?
Can you tell if the tissue is separating or not?
These are the first questions that come to mind

Back