Adding a Sump

jsrnec

Non-member
OK so I want to add a sump to my setup, I already have a refugium, it was a all in one setup with a protien skimmer built in, I don't think the skimmer is working right, so what I want to do is have my overflow go into the sumo with a new skimmer, go through what ever should be in the sump to help clean the water then pump through a phos reactor then go into the fuge and then back up to the tank, what would be the best way to plumb the setup, and what should be put in the sump for a filter media? Oh yeah I have a 125gal single overflow.

Can you post pic or drawing of your set up?

Where is your refugim located? Is it above the sump? Above the display?

Souns like a feasable plan. Just try to have the skimmer in line before the refugium. You don't want the micro fauna to be skimmed out before it can get to the DT.

"go through what ever should be in the sump to help clean the water then pump through a phos reactor then go into the fuge and then back up to the tank"

As John said,a diagram would be great.But from what I understand this section of the system(above) would make little sense.Why would you want to clean the water and send it through a phos reactor before the fug?Do you plan to keep chaeto/pods any kind of critters in the fug?I think the return pump in the fug wouldn't make much sense either.
Most folks split the overflow sending some to the fug and the rest to the sump.This way the fug gets first crack at phosphates/nitrates or any residual food particles,ect.
Then dumps into the sump and returned to the DT.I have a filter sock on the sump side of the overflow to help collect debris on that side.

Back