Adding new fish to bc29. Are all reef fish jerks?

Pitboss3

Non-member
HI, Im new to saltwater aquariums and the hardest thing so far is adding new fish! I started with a 6line then added a Banggai Cardinal, they got along just fine. Then I figured I would try a bicolor pseudochromis sense both it and the 6line are "semi-aggressive" I thought they would be fine together. Nope, the Pseudochromis was a jerk and was attacking the six line so I took him (pseudochromis) back to the lfs. Then I decided to get the fancy Clowns I wanted, and the 6line was attacking them! I like the clowns and they were much more expensive than the 6line so it went back. The cardinal got along with the clowns and is a very chill fish. I added a watchman and all three are getting along. just added a red firefish and the clowns are chasing it around and now SO IS THE ONCE PEACEFUL CARDINAL! Before I added any fish I researched them and it seemed like they are all capable of living together, I even found a list (I think on reef central) that says they are all compatible!? Why can't I add anything without conflict? Should I just let them be and they will all learn to get along, or will it continue until someone dies? I really didn't think this would be the hardest part of starting a reef tank! All fish were added 1 at a time with 1 week in-between. I figure the small tank doesn't help but its what I have, is there a way to add fish to avoid conflict? I don't have other tanks to house fish in temporarily.
Sorry for the book just not sure what I should do. Thanks

The sixline wrasses are known to be aggressive towards new additions, especially in the smaller tanks. Unfortunately, where in FW often semi-aggressive can live with other semi-aggressive, in SW many fish will not coexist (without the right system and careful planning) and will either bully or attack to the point of death.

You really need to add the most passive fish first, so they can become established. Then the more territorial fish are added afterwards so you aren't adding fish to their already claimed territory.

The goby is not competition for the clowns / cardinal in any way, so they more or less ignore him. Sadly firefish are very passive and easily bullied - if it isn't coming out of hiding, it isn't eating and will starve (or be chased into jumping out of the tank). You will likely have to remove the firefish. Clowns tend to be territorial to varying degrees - percula / occellaris (of any color / pattern) least so. What type are yours? Also age matters with clowns - a juvenile will be peaceful but adults start to defend their territory.

I haven't tried it yet but many experienced reefers swear by acclimation boxes - whereby all new fish are first put in a clear acclimation box suspended in the display tank for a few days in order to let the existing fish get used to the new addition.

I'll be getting one soon as I recently tried adding a second possum wrasse to the tank and the established one came very close to killing the new one before I managed to get it out of the display tank and into my quarantine tank.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I was thinking back when I was a kid and had FW tanks and I thought it was the same thing. semi aggressive can be housed with semi aggressive but clearly I was wrong. I waited for the fire fish because I was told they were sensitive and needed a stable tank. the clowns are black ice clowns (occellaris I think) the female is probably about 1.5" long. Maybe Ill give that acclimation box a try, although I am going to have to rip the whole tank apart to find that firefish at this point!
Thanks again.

So, now that I have 2 clowns, a watchman and banggai cardinal (firefish pending) I was thinking maybe ill add a pj cardinal and that will be ok?
I would also like to add a lawnmower blennie?
That is about capacity but maybe if all is well i could try another wrasse sense it will be last?
And I do love the gobies, but I read not to put more than one in a tank?
Any suggestions as far as species and order?
Thanks again.

PS what does it mean when people post "bump"? lol

Unless you have a lot of algae and / or plan to supplement with nori, skip the blenny. I'm not sure about the two cardinals together - hopefully someone else will chime in. Regardless, in a 29g you may be at capacity with your four fish, maybe one more small one.

Since there are quite a few types of goby, there are combos that work. Typically (especially in a small tank) you cannot have 2 different shrimp type gobies (like your watchman). However, those guys get along with various other types of small goby - neon gobies, clown gobies, some other little perching gobies. I have 2 tiger gobies (Elacantinus macrodon) with a neon goby and just added a pair of red banded shrimp gobies - everyone ignores each other. They aren't competing gobies.

Edit to add: "Bump" means they are bumping their post to the top of the page.

Back