Cycling, Adding Pods, Water Changes, First Fish

TheBigDrewsky

BRS Member
Hello

I have a Reefer-2 G2+ 550. Started the cycle with Turbostart 900 and Fishless Fuel. There was a rapid spike in Ammonia followed by increased levels of both nitrites and nitrates. Ammonia is now zero (yellow by API) and still with Nitrites and Nitrates which I know is normal.

I Read and watched some BRS vids about Biome Cycling with Galaxy Pods and Photoplankton immediately after cycling. I think I want to try this in my home aquarium.

A few questions linger tho... Hoping to have pods by Wednesday. If not (Holiday stuff), if nitrites are zero should I just feed the tank another round of fishless fuel?

If in fact nitrites are zero (by validation of a couple of tests) then do I do a 25-50% water change after the cycle and before pods? And then once pods are in, how soon do I have to wait to add livestock? Obviously choosing 2 smaller clowns to start.

Oh, and once cycle is confirmed to be complete, I can turn on reefmat, skimmer, and since bacteria and pods are in the tank, I can turn on lights but using an acclimation cycle, correct?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

I'm not familiar with the fishless fuel method but if what you're saying is true I would feel safe adding a pair of clownfish to that tank. Pods and phyto will help start other populations of critters besides bacteria in the tank but are not necessary for adding a pair of clownfish to help increase the bioload.

What types of corals are you going to be keeping? That would be the determining factor for me when to start a reefmat and skimmer. I'd start the skimmer first but with two fish you'll be wasting mat to clear the water of organic material with just two fish in that tank.

I'm not familiar with the fishless fuel method but if what you're saying is true I would feel safe adding a pair of clownfish to that tank. Pods and phyto will help start other populations of critters besides bacteria in the tank but are not necessary for adding a pair of clownfish to help increase the bioload.

What types of corals are you going to be keeping? That would be the determining factor for me when to start a reefmat and skimmer. I'd start the skimmer first but with two fish you'll be wasting mat to clear the water of organic material with just two fish in that tank.
Thank you for your thoughts - ultimate goal is a mixed reef - probably LPS and SPS dominate - but that’s years in the making - for starters - just some GSP, maybe leather, stylos, birdsnest, digitata, montipora, etc.

Will skim first to break it in - once we have additional bioload we will start reefmat -

So plan will be to water change - stabilize - add pods/phyto, add fish - turn on skimmer - still want to go very very gentle on lighting - even with pods in tank - so looking at maybe an extended lighting acclimation cycle for 6-8 weeks - add coral - add another fish or two -

Andrew,

I just did the same thing for a Red Sea 625.

I watched all of the BRS videos, cycled, added 2 clowns and pods. Planned on keeping the lights off until December (planned being the operative word...).

What I found was the cycle went very well with the clowns, but I might have added the pods a little early. After a quick round of diatoms which the pod seemed to decimate, there is really nothing left for the pods to eat and I can't seem to see even one pod in my sump. Using, dry rock is very different from live rock and I think it takes a lot longer to develop a biome for smaller inverts to live.

The word I would use to describe my tank is "sterile".

They might still be there, but I think I might have added them too soon.

Gary

Andrew,

I just did the same thing for a Red Sea 625.

I watched all of the BRS videos, cycled, added 2 clowns and pods. Planned on keeping the lights off until December (planned being the operative word...).

What I found was the cycle went very well with the clowns, but I might have added the pods a little early. After a quick round of diatoms which the pod seemed to decimate, there is really nothing left for the pods to eat and I can't seem to see even one pod in my sump. Using, dry rock is very different from live rock and I think it takes a lot longer to develop a biome for smaller inverts to live.

The word I would use to describe my tank is "sterile".

They might still be there, but I think I might have added them too soon.

Gary
Hello and thanks for your comments and feedback - sorry to hear you think your pods are gone but happy to hear the diatoms were decimated - did you not or do you not feed phytonfor the pods to continue eating? That’s what I was told to do - so once the pods are in - phyto will be added too.

I know it is all a waiting and patience game - really really really planning on minimal blues and an extended acclimation cycle. Eyes are on some clowns now and maybe one or two basic corals - to start to biodiversity.

Thanks again!

I wouldn’t turn the skimmer or reefmat on for awhile. Maybe until you have 5 or 6 fish. The skimmer would be nice for oxygenation however with only 2-3 fish it won’t have much to do. Plus it could remove some things that would be good to start developing a good micro biome.

I did not add phyto because of all the scary things I read about fouling the water.

TBH, I probably have some pods remaining that will hopefully repopulate the tank.

Back