Adding new livestock safely to MD tank after quarantine.

MSilverio27

Non-member
So this is my first post on BRS. here is a scope of my current set up. I have a 72 Bowfront with a 55 gallon sump/refugium. the aquarium is over 6 months. I have a Reef Octopus Diablo XS225 Skimmer. AI Sol LEDs. But my question isnt about the equipment. My issue is the introduction of new fish to the tank. right now i have a Sail-fin Tang, Engineer Gobi, Flame Angel, Mandarin. I am in the process of quarantining 2 True Percs Clownfish and i want to make sure they are not bothered as my Mandarin has lately. Now i have read and done y research and i definitely planned it out. My Sailfin and Flame were the last ones added to the tank. However the initial few other fishes i had unfortunately passed away. Now they have been in there for about a month and from what i say are getting a little territorial with the mandarin. Should i be scared when adding the Percs to the main display? Should I rearrange my rock work(which is what im thinking)? Any advice. I just want to make sure i am introducing them to a safe place. I don't believe taking the tang and the flame out might be an option. they are fast and think it would be more stressful to them and the system.

Any thought of adding a BTA to your system? If so, you could add the BTA to you quarantine, let your percs get used to hosting, then move both clowns and the nem over to the DT. I think there's a good chance of a sailfin leaving the clowns alone if they're in a BTA.

Yes that's a good option and I have been looking at the rose bulb anemone or the long tentacle purple anemone. Just didn't know if that would be enough... what about adding other fishes that aren't clowns, what options then?

Last edited:
I find that most clowns take to any type of bubble tip anemone--and once they do, they'll rarely come out--just to eat. My guy actually brings the anemone food now, it's pretty cool. A rose bubble tip has great color. Only issue is that they really spread out and, when they do, they sting everything. Mine's spread out a good 10 inches now, I've had to move everything nearby--including sps colonies attached to rocks, because they were dying.

Non-clowns is kind of tough, I'm not really sure what to do. I've heard people separating the tang with a piece of acrylic until they adjust, but I've never tried that myself.

I would suggest catching the aggressive fish, putting them in the QT and putting clowns in the DT. Then add the other fish back to the DT after the clowns get accustomed to their new tank. That is what I have done in the past.

Just wanted it to be know, i ended up getting a Rose Bulb Anemone... from Coral Reef Aquarium, LFS in Seekonk, MA.

The flame and Sailfin should have been added last into your tank.
I know you've probably hear this,and don't want to sound like tang police,but that sailfin will grow the size of a dinner plate eventually.
Too big for your current tank.

This is why I just found a deal, for a big upgraded tank... The transaction hasn't been completed, but i will post the new tank. There is so much I have learned that hopefully I can apply this knowledge to the new tank. The tank will be a 220. Now Question, If i was to add new stock such as a Purple Tang and a yellow tang, best thing would be the they of the transfer? How do you think this would play out, and would you even recommend...?

A 220g is a nice little upgrade :).

I haven't kept any big tangs as of late but hopefully someone with some more experience has an answer for you.

Back