Advice after buying a complete tank

deynon09

Mid-life Reefer
I'm buying a full 30 gal long setup from user amk, and I need some advice on setting it up. I'm a total newbie, but can carry my own at following instructions. Anything that is typical in setting up, mixing water, chemical balance would be much appreciated, ie; first step, second step etc...
What test kit to get for the money...

I started with a small set up so it won't cost me gobs of money to keep it going, but big enough so I could enjoy it.

Last edited:
You'll get some great information here.
But there's nothing like a good book to start out with.
Especially on a rainy day or night like this evening.
I would highly recommend Bob Fenner's "THe Conscientious Marine Aquarist" to start with.
This will give you all the basics of starting a S.W. tank.Also gives you info on different species of fish and inverts.

I'll just add,that you'll need to take your time and resist the urge to get something going right away.Even small tanks can cost a lot of money,especially if you have a crash.

Try and save as much water from the current set up as you can. I have done a few moves and if you put everything in buckets it is usually fine. I helps to separate stuff too ie rocks in one, corals another, sand alone (you might be able to keep the sand in the tank with a little water since it is a 30l if you have someone to help you carry it, this would be best).

When pouring the water into the tank I use a plastic bag. Place the bag over the sand a zip lock bag or small trash bag doesn't matter, pour right onto the bag. It will disperse the water to minimize the sand kicking up as you refill the tank.

API Reef starter test kits works fine and is not very expensive when you first get going.
It has all the basics for testing through a "cycle".This will be one of the first hurdles on your way to a successful Marine tank.The whole ammonia>nitrite>nitrate deal.

Try and save as much water from the current set up as you can. I have done a few moves and if you put everything in buckets it is usually fine. I helps to separate stuff too ie rocks in one, corals another, sand alone (you might be able to keep the sand in the tank with a little water since it is a 30l if you have someone to help you carry it, this would be best).

When pouring the water into the tank I use a plastic bag. Place the bag over the sand a zip lock bag or small trash bag doesn't matter, pour right onto the bag. It will disperse the water to minimize the sand kicking up as you refill the tank.

Gee Rusty,

I read it as he's setting up the 30 gal. as his first tank ever.........not upgrading.

How much will I have to worry about cycling? All the Rock and sand has been in the tank for a while so would it be like doing one massive water change? Or do I have to worry about nitrate/ite levels 'cause I stirred up the sand??

You'll get a mioni-cycle from die-off from moving the tank, when you pull it all apart and but it all back together, there's going to be some bacterias and helpful critters that are not going to make it, it's just the way these things are. I got a couple pounds of LR(Live Rock) from another member here and we pulled it straight from his tank into a bucket of his tank water, then I put it into my tank here and still got a cycle.....it's normal. Once you get it all back up and running again, just let it sit for a month(this is the sucky part). Do water changes often and monitor your trite/trate/ammonia/ph levels...I'd suggest recording them with a notepad as well.

Bob-
I got the impression he bought a tank that was already up and running. I could have misread though?

Sorry, it's not up and running, but it will be on Saturday. I'm going to be moving it to my house. So what can I expect...

If the tank your buying has a sand bed just keep a couple cups from the top layer and ditch the rest. If your going to have a sand bed in the new set up use new sand and just seed with the saved sand.Take as much tank water as you can. Just keep the lr moist and you shouldn't have any problems. If you see any large sponges on the lr you should remove them. They don't deal well with being exposed to the air and will just die off. You'll probably get a minor cycle if at all.

if at all possible, keep the sponge submerged and pull the entire rock, Sponge is easy to grow out onto tank glass for easy fragging :D

Don't have any sponges, tho, so I won't have to worry about that. Shenlung, I also got the impression that my tank would fully cycle when I move the livestock. Not good when I have all kinds of stuff in the tank. Is this what you were implying? 'Cause Bill says I'll only get a "minor cycle, if at all." I would have to end up doing water changes every day to keep the critters alive if I do get a full cycle. I'll get a good test kit and go from there, I guess.

ALSO!!! Is Poland Springs "steam distilled" water good for the water I'm going to use.

Last edited:
no, not a full cycle, I doubt that would happen....I'm new to this hobby myself, so I'm only speaking of my own experience. When I pulled this tank apart and moved it to my place, I got a little mini cycle, but that might be mostly because the LR and Ls came from a place that was almost 4 hours away from me, so there was lots of time for stuff to get sickly with the temp swing and shifting around. If you can move the tank without removing the live sand and a little water, you shouldn't have a problem with a cycle, I would imagine.

Back