advice on a aquactinics light for sale on reefcentral...

kpharm6

Non-member
hi...

just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a 48" light by aquactinics -2x175 watts MH and 2x 96 watt T5's everything included...

our tank is a 33 gal long...so it's quite shallow...

light is only 6 mo old...

these lights are supposed to emit a lot less heat...is this true? does anyone have any experience with these lights?

any advice would be much appreciated!

kelly :)

I have an aquatinics t-5 fixture, and I love it. I can speak for the workmanship, but not specifically on the MH / T5 Combo

I've installed a few of them, Tom (owner) is a real good guy and makes a quality product, And they do run cool. I wouldn't hesitate to by anything from them.
Do find out about the t5 or PC though it may make a difference to you. The t5 will offer a much nicer range of actinic options (IMO) @ 48" they would be 54w.
If PC (96w) all is not lost just make sure to buy a nice quality o3 bulb (TRU comes to mind)

You may want to install an auto-top-off system because you are going to see a lot of water evaporation with that light on a 33 long. I have a 33 long and have to switch to all t5 because a 2x150w hood (with 2x96w PC off all the time) burned off 1/5 of the water per day.

As far as evaporation goes with one of those, I know for a fact that it won't be as bad of an issue as you think.... They throw a lot of light but very little heat..... There is lexan or glass between the bulbs and the water if I'm correct.... It is a very well cooled unit like Marco was saying..... It is very different than a hood over a tank..... I can't stress enough on how cool it is.... Check this out:

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20238&page=2

Thank you for your advice!!! :)

Thank you so much to all who replied...it was tremendously helpful!

Reeffreak...thank you for that link...it really proves the point!

kelly and brian :)

Back