Advice on sand please

fishfry

BRS Member
I'm about to set a 120g reef system and wanted to get some input on what sand you guys and girls like best and where to get it. I'm not sure what I have in my current reef now but will just be using it to seed the new tank. Thanks in advance.

Ken

Seems alot of folks like/love Marco Rocks sand.Generally though... use a fine grain sand,think sugar.

Seems alot of folks like/love Marco Rocks sand.Generally though... use a fine grain sand,think sugar.

This is what I used on my upgrade and love it. It is VERY fine and stirs up easily is the only downside, even 8 months later.

I have a 65t with 3-4 inches of Hull's finest Nantasket Beach sand. 4 buckets full harvested in between waves at high tide. FYI, I am SERIOUS.

yitbos did u do anything to treat it beforehand? i have thought about that many times while walking at different beaches, but didn't want to bring something invasive or parasitic into my home system...

I re-introduced myself to the hobby a few years ago and decided to re-establish my “fish only” tank, using the resources I have here on the south shore, i.e. local sand, rock, and sea water. I DID NOT treat anything and I have lost no fish, crab, or shrimp (with the exception to some barnacles during the nitro cycle) to any parasitic disease. In the past year I have added a couple of anemones and they have done well. As I have made the change over to a “reef tank” I have had no issues thus far. I am not recommending that you run down to Wally Beach with a shoveland a bucket, but I felt Nantasket, bing open to the ocean, cleaned itself frequently enough to give it a try. To be honest, part of the reason I did it was to show my wife how “inexpensive” the hobby could be. HA!!!

yitbos did u do anything to treat it beforehand? i have thought about that many times while walking at different beaches, but didn't want to bring something invasive or parasitic into my home system...

I would be more concerned about pollutant's and if the sand has silica or not.

Nantasket definitely sounds like the cheaper option. Lol. Guess I have some decisions to make. Thx for the feedback.

Back