Advice On Sand Mistake

Spooky

Non-member
I am an absolute idiot. I thought the sand I was about to put in my sump was rinsed enough. It wasn't, and now the water in my tank is completely white. I started running carbon right away but I am wondering if I should expect any losses due to my stupidity. Is there anything else I can/should do other than running carbon? I also put a large sponge before my return pump in hopes of trapping some of the dust. Thanks in advance.
Spooky

I would continue running carbon, and if you want do a waterchange. I don't think cloudy water will really harm anything.

If there was something in the sand, that is another story. What kind of sand?

Happened to me in my 10 gal... Turn off some of the flow. I figured 2 things about flow. It would either make the particles move around and settle, or keep them up in the water. It did the latter. I'd keep running carbon, it worked for me. You can use a turkey baster to get the sand off of corals or any equipment.

carbon will not absorb the white dust. you will need to run a very fine micron filter either pressurized ocean clear or a 25 micron sleeve on your wet dry if you have one. a good water change will help to. thats what happenes when you dont wash the sand prior to adding it to the aquarium, or excuse me clean it enough first.

Back