After a power outage ... delay cosmetic cleaning?

PamBrent71

Non-member
We lost power overnight and used battery powered air pumps to keep the water somewhat oxygenated, but obviously not ideal and did not help temperature. Tank dropped to 68F from 76-78F over 8 hours. With that wind, the house dropped to 58. That wind sucked!

We got the generator going first thing and the tank temp came back. Everyone seemed to eat and act normally so far, but I know the next few days is when we find out if we will have an outbreak of (insert disease name here) due to stress.

The question is ... should we do our regular weekly cleaning or wait a week so they have a longer time without so much stress? We are on auto water change, and that is happening like clockwork. The cleaning is mostly sucking 5 gallons of water out as we siphon cyano and algae off the rocks. Each week it seems like less and less comes back, so we are gradually winning by controlling nutrients, adjusting flow, and mechanically removing the stuff. There are too many horror stories of how faster treatments kill off parts of the tank so we are going slow (it is frustrating but it is working).

I'm torn between keeping up the fight and letting the fish get a break. Residents are 1 juvie blue jawed trigger, 1 fairy wrasse, 2 ocellaris clowns (6 months old), and 2 diamond gobies plus peppermint shrimp, skunk cleaner shrimp, coral banded shrimp, and fire shrimp. Tank is 80 gallons, a little older than the clowns. Corals are mostly euphyllia, shrooms, a couple SPS, and we have 6 anemones. And snails.

Thanks in advance, any advice that gets me past 'hold your breath and brace for impact' will be great.

I’d probably hold off on more stress abd let them recover for about a week. Hopefully the power losses are done

I'd teat, test, test. If things are reasonable, leave it alone. Let it settle in. Run skimmer a little wet, run a small bag of carbon temporally . Clean glass, puff of rocks and sand and get it into overflow. Feed well, selcon in it. DONT PANIC and make changes.

Thanks, so far so good with the power. Going shopping for a new generator this weekend to replace the 10 yr old one. It works but the reason we waited til morning to start it is that it is loud as hell AND usually takes 30 min to get started with half dozen hand tools, some carb cleaner, and much angst. Pre-tank it was "okay til it dies". But not now.

I've never spent so much time staring critically at the fish before, making sure every shift in coloration is symmetrical on their bodies as opposed to an illness. Super grateful we got to purchase a used UV filter from another forum member in late January, makes me feel a little better about our odds.

Good luck. I just picked up a Honda eu7000 generator. Simple to start abd it’s about as quiet as you get in a generator!

Back