algae controlling/good reef tang

bth

Non-member
what is the tang that controls algae the best and is a all around nice, happy fish? all feedback is much appreciated!

P.S i have a 65 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump

65 gal people are going to tell you is too small. Yellow tangs are good. I have a chevron tang who picks at it all the time when I don't feed everyday

If you have algy, its better to address the underlying issue than trying to put a band aid on it. Algy is caused by poor water husbandry, excess nutrients. Use only ro/di water increase the water changes and feed less.

If you have algy, its better to address the underlying issue than trying to put a band aid on it. Algy is caused by poor water husbandry, excess nutrients. Use only ro/di water increase the water changes and feed less.

ok just eating leftover food mainly not so much the algae part

I added my yellow tang to my tank before any algae issue. He do not allow any algae grow. If I add a plug with some algae, he cleans it ASAP.

Here is the guy always looking for food:

He eats also any food I add, but twice a week I feed him with algae.

Last edited:
I have a tomini tang that is always picking at the rockwork for algae and a model citizen so I would say they would be a pretty safe bet and pretty calm so could be ok in a 65, the one fish the tomini hates is my lawnmower blenny apparently they compete for the same food hence the conflict so you might want to consider the blenny if you already have a heavy fish load and the blenny is a very interesting fish to watch so a good add to a reef tank.

I added my yellow tang to my tank before any algae issue. He do not allow any algae grow. If I add a plug with some algae, he cleans it ASAP.

Here is the guy always looking for food:

He eats also any food I add, but twice a week I feed him with algae.

OK thanks! i don't know which tang but hes on my list now!

I have a tomini tang that is always picking at the rockwork for algae and a model citizen so I would say they would be a pretty safe bet and pretty calm so could be ok in a 65, the one fish the tomini hates is my lawnmower blenny apparently they compete for the same food hence the conflict so you might want to consider the blenny if you already have a heavy fish load and the blenny is a very interesting fish to watch so a good add to a reef tank.

OK thanks!! i will think about him, cool colors!

A 65 is pushing it and it is not a tang, but my one spot fox face does a great job of algae/cleanup

+1 on foxface, much more productive than tang. I have a tomimi that does not do jack so I drop a foxface in, it went to work right away.
If you have bigger tank, try a unicon tang or vlamingi tang, mine eat all kind of algae and I feed him grape caulerpa everyday.

any bristle tooth tang, they are grazers..... but you need to find out why you have enough po4 to feed the algae.

Kole yellow eye tang is the best choice for that size tank. I have been researching a lot and they are listed as needing 70 gallon. Most all others are listed as 125+. They seem to have a good reputation for algae eating and hardiness.

Depends on what type of algae.
Different types of tang eat different types of algea.
And not every tang will touch the algea.
For example i have a gold rim,yellow and orange should currently and none of the touch any algae in my tank.

Ive had alot of tangs and my favorite is thecconvicts or yellow eye (kole) tangs.
They have the type of mouths great for keeping glass clean.

Back