Algae ID? red bubble with orange spots

JohnK

Staff member
BRS Member
Anybody know what this is?

I'll try to attach a pic, sorry for the poor quality. I'm looking at the red bubble with orange spots, not the valonia (I know all too well what that is).

dial up rules! One more try,

Otherwise does anybody know what I'm describing? Red bubble algae with ornage spots all over, about 2-4 x the size of the average valonia bubble.

thanks and I really am trying to attach a crappy qual pic
jk

dial up rules! I can't get the pic to work

anyway, does anybody know what I'm describing? Red bubble algae with ornage spots all over, about 2-4 x the size of the average valonia bubble.

Maybe you need to reduce the size of your attachment? Max size is 99 kb. Then just scroll down to "manage attachments" in the new reply window and follow the prompts from there.

Thanks guys, I guess that's the stuff but I couldn't say for sure from the pics. I haven't popped one yet so I'm not sure about the gel filling.

Jango, did yours have distinct orange spots?

I was trying to figure out how to downsize the pic but I guess I'm a slow learner with that kind of stuff.

thanks again
jk

yup i agree "red bubble algae" i usually they are solid enough you can remove them w/o busting the bubble. If you can move the rock out of the tank and knock them off thats your best best.

Yes, I had this once in my tank. It came in as a hitchhiker. Pain in the butt. Nothing ate it except for a red sea sailfin tang - Zebrasoma desjardinii.
Once I added that gorgeous tang it was gone in a matter of 2 weeks. The tang now lives at Nick Oz's house.
Good luck.

Last edited:
the funny thing is that I have never seen this algae before and I haven't added anything to the tank it is in for over 18 months (except a fish or two and a couple of starfish yesterday). Just one of those random things that pop out of LR I guess. I did have a Kole tang in that tank for a year or so, lost him couple of months ago, maybe he was eating this stuff before I saw it? Whatever the case this stuff looks better than the valonia I have all over that tank, maybe it will outcompete the evil green menace and become my new problem algae. I can only hope :)

jimmyj7090 said:
maybe it will outcompete the evil green menace and become my new problem algae. I can only hope :)

It will not, but they look great growing together...;)

Back