Algae?? ID...trying again

Aquadiva

rebuilding the reef
OK, got not much response first time around...trying again..

This stuff grows in the dark and "burns off" under MH during the day. Recently, it started "blooming" on my filter socks, so it is obviously not getting any better.... BTW...I change my fitler sock daily, and give it a good washing in Hot, hot water...then let it dry.

This stuff is not slimy...it grows in little balls..It has a hairy texture to it, although it never gets long. The stuff growing on the sand "waves" in the current, so, I don't think it is a flow issue.

So..
75 AGARR, 75 rubbermaid sump, 29Gal Refugium, Southdown sand, ASM G-4 skimmer...running carbon...
SG..1.025
PH..8.1-8.2
Temp 80
CAL 435
Alk 9.9 dkh
Phos registers 0
amm 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0

So...is it a cyno, dino, really don't think diatoms....a type of reddish brown hair algae....

Ohyea...nothing seems to touch in including turbos, and fighting conch. :( ARRRRRRRRGG!!!!

Thoughts???

algae2jpg.jpg

Hmmmm....silicates are one of the tests kits I don't have.

Aren't they usually "dusty"? This stuff doesn't form mats like cyano, but it also isn't easily blown off like diatoms. This whole doesn't grow in the light' thing has me baffled. It seems to thrive in the darkness.

Heading down to AA today, I think, maybe I'll bring a water sample and see if they test it for silicates.

your water may not test for silicates as the algae could be consuming it..but test anyway, as well as make up water you use.

It looks like cyano to me Linda. I have similar (to the pic) when I use a filter sock. As for when it grows, mine does not seem to need light either but sometimes it's clear in
the am and sometimes it is there. I am going back to Tropic Marin salt.

Well...went to AA and got me some Chemi-clean.

I'll figure out once and for all at least what I am dealing with. Since it is conveniently growing on my filter sock, when I take it off in the a.m., I will put it in a bucket and drop in some chemi-clean. If it kills it, it is cyano, I guess. If not, I need to try something else. :(

Back