Algae on Acro

jackie

Non-member
Hi,

One of my SPS fell in the sand a couple weeks ago (ooops) and cut a couple of the tips off where it started to bleach. So now there's some brown algae growing on the tops for about 3/8", just a couple branches. The whole colony is doing very well, polyps out, but do I need to dip it before I frag it again or just leave it alone?

I have a yellow porites that receded quite a bit in the heat wave in april, and after that the dead parts had some algae growing on them, but tissue quickly grew back over the algae parts, and now it's happy as a clam again. So I guess I'd say leave it alone, if it's doing well.

I'd use a turkey baster to keep the algae off the tips. Other than that, Nate is right, if healthy, it should re-encrust. This is true for most acros. Mondi Cups however are a bi@## to keep going if they begin to get alga on them. Their physical shape makes it hard to keep the coral clean enough for re-generation.

Ok, I"ll just give it more time. A couple snails tackled it sparingly, but I'll blow it off every so often. I know what you mean with the monti cap, I have a really small piece that got knocked over and it's really struggling to recolor after the mishap. I've since reglued everything so hopefully it won't happen again.

thanks guys......

Back