Algae question

Jason72

Non-member
Good morning all, and Merry-Almost-Christmas Sorry for the length of what I'm writing - but trying to preemptively cover all the bases...

I feel like I'm starting over after a period of tank-neglect (all summer basically). I went all summer (March - October) without a water change ::. I know, I know. I started frequent (once-to-twice weekly) changes again a coupel of months ago, mostly because I was disgusted with how much algae had cropped up. It's the weirdest algae I've ever seen - it's very dense and forms mats - even going from rock to rock (almost like bridges). There's bubble algae in there as well - and I'd suspect there's also just standard old hair-algae.

I sucked it up and tested everything yesterday: 90 gal tank, about 175 pounds of LR, pH 8.2, dKH 8, nitrate, phosphate both 0, Ca 420, temp between 79 and 81. t5 (8x54w) on about 10 hours a day.

I'm in there with a toothbrush and trying to get as much as I can each time i do a water change, but it's not a winning battle as of yet.

Finally, the question to you experts out there: Should I consider adding to my minimal clean up crew now? Or should I keep plugging away with very-frequent water changes and toothbrushing and see if that helps? I was afraid to even test for fear of what I'd find in the levels - and I was surprised everything came out pretty good. Since the levels seem ok, should I get some algae-eaters?

yes i would get more clean up crew. and i would cut down on your lighting time too. i only keep my lights on for 6hrs a day.

The most important thing is getting the nutrient levels under control. Lots of water changes is good as long as your using good quality RODI water.

Of course the manual removal helps a ton now, the same stuff will grow back if the nutrients are still present in the system.

If you still have that phosphate reactor,get that fired up for sure.
If the algae is cyano,I would even consider a reboot with chemi-clean.

Back