Algae scrubber

Angelodr2

BRS Member
Can anyone that has one give me the 411 on it, is it easy to do? Or will it be convenient for my 90gallon tank? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built one.
plan it carefully and thoughtfully, otherwise it becomes one more chore.
My first one is not that great but the one I put up a couple of days ago should be much better.
It sits on top of the tank and drains straight in via couple of bubble bafles. LED are arduino controlled. The whole thing is mirror acrylic on the outside with the mirror finish inside so it spills little to no light. The internal clear acrylic dividers shield the LEDs from water or spray or anything else. It's the same height as my hood so if I get to painting the edges it will not be even noticeable, the only thing that gives it away at this time is the light spill.
In less than a week it started growing algae already, nothing spectacular but it seems to mature way faster than the previous one.

How do you guys contrast an algae scrubber to a large refugium? Are you able to get more nutrient export for the space from a scrubber?

the scrubber is about 24x12x6. The sheet of plastic is not running at full capacity, it's barely starting to get covered with algae, still maturing, I started it less than a week ego after taking the old one down.
The old one was 12x6x16. The thing was not designed properly and it was an eyesore - wife said it has to go. It was fed directly from the overflow. about 30x3w LEDs.
There's not a spec of algae in the tank.
For the space it takes I think there's few if any other things out there that will export as much as a scrubber. Latest articles I read size the scrubber based on the amount of food fed and not the volume of the tank. With the 24x10 sheet that I have in it I could literally drop in the food by the cupful. Never tried that but will once the scrubber matures.

How do you guys contrast an algae scrubber to a large refugium? Are you able to get more nutrient export for the space from a scrubber?
With a fuge you can grow pods and other types of beneficial "critters".
With the scrubber it is primarily nutrient export.

Why not do both?
Scrubber over your fuge :)

My scrubber has pods/snails/ and other goodies in it. It's like a fuge but better. It takes time to ramp up the algae growth. I'm using 2 27watt par 38 grow LEDs red and blue only. 21 long x 9tall

The fuge is generally to grow macro which will fight the scrubber for nutrients. The scrubber will win and macro will die

My scrubber has pods/snails/ and other goodies in it. It's like a fuge but better. It takes time to ramp up the algae growth. I'm using 2 27watt par 38 grow LEDs red and blue only. 21 long x 9tall

Any pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back