Alk drop

badlands25

Non-member
Using Red Sea coral pro salt my alk was at 6.6. Dosed it up to 8.1 last night and it’s already down to 7.7? Using Hanna alk checker. Innovative Marine 40 drilled with sump.

Your tank glass covered in Coraline? I found my alk leveled out after scraping it off.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

How many times did you measure 8.1 and 7.7? Are you sure 0.4 is not within the normal variance of the test kit? Are you sure it was fully dissolved when you measured 8.1?

What's your tank bio-load? Stony corals? Clams? Large colonies and clams can suck up Alk very quickly.

What's your Calcium and Mag? Are you getting a lot of precipitation?

Rocks have a lot of coralline and they were all dry when I started up a few months ago. Doesn’t appear to be precipitate in tank. Cal 500 don’t have a mag test kit. Have 5-6 frags a very large elegance and a chalice colony. 4 fish and cuc

Wow that's super high Cal! Why so high? It's very hard to keep both Cal and Alk elevated long term without a lot of precipitation. My guess is that if you let Cal drop to reasonable levels you'll have an easier time keeping Alk higher. Having said that, 7.7 is fine, this is not an emergency. Whatever you do, do it slowly.

I don’t dose anything for cal. Just water changes. My anemone looks like hot garbage and I’m trying to narrow it down and lower alk seems like the only reason

Red sea coral pro does that as they put more calcium and alk that sea water can hold. When calcium carbonate precipitates, the micro crystals drag more calcium and alk from the water.
By the way, newly mixed coral pro has more than 12 alk to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@dz6t is right, check this video of tests performed by bulk reef supply they talk about Red Sea coral pro at 5:48 and 9:05.

It sounds like your tank does not have high Calcium and Alk consumption, just precipitation. You should have better luck keeping stable parameters if you did your water changes with less extreme parameters.

Back