Alk Rising

Are you using Calcium carbonate for your DIY coral snow, mixed up in RODI water? RODI at ambient conditions can be slightly acidic, so a small amount of calcium carbonate will actually be dissolved. Might be the source of your extra alkalinity depending on how often or how much you’re dosing.

Are you using Calcium carbonate for your DIY coral snow, mixed up in RODI water? RODI at ambient conditions can be slightly acidic, so a small amount of calcium carbonate will actually be dissolved. Might be the source of your extra alkalinity depending on how often or how much you’re dosing.
I rarely do it and when I do I try to do it after cleaning the glass sandbed or picking algae off rocks and I do 1ml per 10 gallons so 5ml and I’ve only done it once since things went wacko. Everything is happy and growing so I’ll just keep a close eye maybe I’ll test my rodi alk level for fun

One thing that can cause alk rising is carbon dioxide produced by bacteria inside the tank. The by product of carbon dosing is carbon dioxide as well.
Many organic substances like fish food, coral food, small organic molecules like vinegar, alcohol can act as carbon dosing which produces carbon dioxide that lead to increased alkalinity. That is how All-For-Reef works to add alkalinity, by producing carbon dioxide via bacteria inside the tank.

One thing that can cause alk rising is carbon dioxide produced by bacteria inside the tank. The by product of carbon dosing is carbon dioxide as well.
Many organic substances like fish food, coral food, small organic molecules like vinegar, alcohol can act as carbon dosing which produces carbon dioxide that lead to increased alkalinity. That is how All-For-Reef works to add alkalinity, by producing carbon dioxide via bacteria inside the tank.
As far as I know I’m not doing any carbon dosing haha other than feeding my fish alcohol is just for me :D. Would it be my closing of the windows switching to ac ph is now about 7.8 used to be at least 8 with the windows open. I have plans on running an airline outside for my skimmer air input to see how much that will help if not I’ve been contemplating a co2 scrubber.

I'm still struggling with the same problem. Totally unexplainable. I have the most basic all-in-one system. No sump, not dosing. Double checked with different test kits. Checked my Rodi. I am baffled and can't seem to find a solution. So next phase is damage control, by doing water changes. My seawater mixes up at 7.8. My elk as of Friday was 10. Today it's 10.4. By the end of the week it will be at 11:00. Is there anything I can add to my system that will take out alkalinity?

I saw something recently about alk reagents for hanna checkers evaporating a bit leading to false high test results (until the reagent runs out and a new bottle opened).

Any chance that could be a factor for either of you?

You can use muriatic acid. If you go this route take out the water from the tank and do it in a separate container and then aerate the water before returning to tank. There should be some info on the dosages online

I saw something recently about alk reagents for hanna checkers evaporating a bit leading to false high test results (until the reagent runs out and a new bottle opened).

Any chance that could be a factor for either of you?
I use the same checker on my other 3 systems with the same reagents and everything tests normal

You can use muriatic acid. If you go this route take out the water from the tank and do it in a separate container and then aerate the water before returning to tank. There should be some info on the dosages online
Would that effect my livestock? I read something about muriatic acid but I'm too scared to try it. Considering I've used it to clean up cement

What’s your ph level? Mine was low I corrected it and I’m back to my usual alk consumption.

Would that effect my livestock? I read something about muriatic acid but I'm too scared to try it. Considering I've used it to clean up cement
That’s why I said do it in a separate container. Take as much water out as you can into another container without leaving anything exposed. Then do the treatment in the container not in your tank. It’ll drop the ph completely

That’s why I said do it in a separate container. Take as much water out as you can into another container without leaving anything exposed. Then do the treatment in the container not in your tank. It’ll drop the ph completely
But then doesn't the water go back in the tank?

Here’s the formula and link

AEC58E66-3C98-4495-AFD9-5BF492307774.png

Back