almost blind meself with 250w DE metal halide

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Just hang a Aqua Medic Aqua spacelight 250w, my eyes still hurts.
The glare is too much, it definitely not kid-safe.

I was working on the tank with the hood open last year, and burned the surface of my eyes. left me blind for two days.
The pain was unbearable..

Be careful with halides, the light they give off is intense.

PeterCip said:
I was working on the tank with the hood open last year, and burned the surface of my eyes. left me blind for two days.
The pain was unbearable..

Be careful with halides, the light they give off is intense.

I know exactly how you feel about that pain.... Several years ago we always used to have a fire outside and get drunk and this one night I sat in front of the fire and just stared at it..... Well, the next day I woke up in so much pain and I found the phone and called my buddy to come pick me up and bring me to the emergency room because I couldn't see and the pain was unbelievable.... The nurse in the emergency room said she could see the squint marks on my corneas..... I will never do that again..... The only thing that got rid of the pain was the percs.... :)

I was not looking at the bulb, just the glare from the side.

Conlius said:
i have a feeling that one day we will all get skin cancer from them :eek:

Small price to pay for such a relaxing hobby:rolleyes:

I got a decent "sun" burn once doing aquascaping on my tank. My arm was right under a bulb for about half an hour. I won't be doing that again.

well, who need to go to beach to get a tan?

Conlius said:
i have a feeling that one day we will all get skin cancer from them :eek:

a couple of months ago there was a news story where a 1000w halide bulb in a gym broke its shell, but was still lit. All the people sitting in the gym below it got severe sun burns, and had all sorts or precancerous growths. Really scary.

smcnally said:
Wow...you guys think that's bad? Try looking into the arc of a welding rod.

Ha, just reminded me of the first time I welded. In a t-shirt no less. More sun burns. Man, this is somekind of trend for me:rolleyes:

smcnally said:
Wow...you guys think that's bad? Try looking into the arc of a welding rod.

What happened to me was the same exact thing as you said.. its called "welders flash".. Basically the intense UV coming off the reflection of my tank, burned the surface of my eyes. This happened in about 15 minutes.
The reasons i couldn't see were:
1. The surface of my eye was swollen and bumpy, it was like looking through a frosted window
2. My eyes would twitch and shudder when exposed to light, making it impossible to focus (that is if I could actually see through my foggy optics)
3. When air hit my eye, it hurt so badly, by reflex my lids would cringe shut.

It was a miserable two days. Luckily eyes heal so fast, especially when you use steroids, that it only last that short amount of time. Some person outside of my apartment (on the streets of Boston) had to bring me to a nearby doctor?s office. Luckily there was one 2 blocks away.

Back