Alternative Frag Plugs

MrX

Non-member
Is there any reason NOT to use these 2"x2" tiles as alternative frag plugs? Of course I'll remove the glue holding them together and rinse them off well.

FragTile2.jpg

FragTile1.jpg

I plan on using them for mounting corals that I have on the sand bed such as my meteor shower, acans, etc. Debating whether to mount them on the glazed side so that the sand color of the tile faces up.

Also bought this piece of tile for "clownfish babies", to quote SonX. I'm assuming the clowns would prefer the rough side "up" when I put it in the tank; is that correct?

ClownTile1.jpg

ClownTile2.jpg

They also make tiles that are not shiny on either side. They are 2"x2" and come in sheets.

Pallobi? Uses lots of tile in his tank....maybe you should pm him.

Just my two cents. I would be very careful using old tile for the following reasons.

Some tile is not designed to be submerged in water and could leach toxins or breakdown over time.
The mastic that is used to adhere the tiles to the floor has additives to ward off mold and mildew.
Some people also clean their floors with chemicals that are toxic to animals.

Some times you just never know what is in the materials being used. Same as when Crayola was called on the carpet for putting asbestos in the crayons. :rolleyes:
Let me tell you it was not because the kids were scribbling back and forth too fast on the paper. Causing the crayons to burst into flames. Alot of people seem to not know about this as it was kept quite very fast.

http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/foia00/os/crayons.pdf

Just to think I use to eat the paste in kindergarden... I will just say it explains alot today... ;)

Last edited:
How much each tile end up costing?
You can buy ceramic frag plugs for $0.20 each on eBay.

Just my two cents. I would be very careful using old tile for the following reasons.

Some tile is not designed to be submerged in water and could leach toxins or breakdown over time.
The mastic that is used to adhere the tiles to the floor has additives to ward off mold and mildew.
Some people also clean their floors with chemicals that are toxic to animals.

These are brand new tiles from HD. Other than removing the sticker and the little bits of adhesive holding them together I'm not too worried about toxic stuff.

How much each tile end up costing?
You can buy ceramic frag plugs for $0.20 each on eBay.

I bought two sheets, each has 36 tiles, for $2.64 each. Even with tax it works out to less than 10 cents per square. ($2.80 / 36 = ~0.08)

I'll probably clean them up and then toss them in a bowl with some RODI just to clean the dust/whatever off. Then a final rinse before I use them.

Check out pallobi's tank. He uses tile. I think he talks about tile type some where at the beginning. Here it is:

"these things i get for $8... a 1' square with 36 tiles, and i jus remove them from the mesh backing... the glue that i cant get off doesnt seem to have any negative effect whatsoever and most will come off with a quick rubbing with a good file... so it helps... one thing I need to do is get some more lol, as always."

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums...A-PALY-SYSTEM-Coral-amp-Livestock-pics-thread

Last edited:
Check out pallobi's tank. He uses tile. I think he talks about tile type some where at the beginning. Here it is:

"these things i get for $8... a 1' square with 36 tiles, and i jus remove them from the mesh backing... the glue that i cant get off doesnt seem to have any negative effect whatsoever and most will come off with a quick rubbing with a good file... so it helps... one thing I need to do is get some more lol, as always."

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums...A-PALY-SYSTEM-Coral-amp-Livestock-pics-thread

Thanks for finding the link.

KidsX and I are in the process of breaking down the 2x2 tiles now. The bits of glue holding them together is kinda rubbery so I'm using a small screwdriver to get the bigger pieces off. I'll do a second pass later to get any pieces I missed.

Back