Ammonia problem once again

LaxFrags

Could my ammonia test kit be wrong? Right now it says I have ammonia of around 0.8 ppm. Ph is 8.0ppm, nitrate is at 15ppm and nitrite is at 0. My clownfish is acting fine, my yellow clown goby is perching, wrasse is swimming around. On second thought my clown is making some erratic movements, my light is off but corals are pretty shriveled, especially rainbow acan. I’m going to put in some amguard but every time I put some in one of my hermits seems to die, my inverts don’t like it. I’m going to see if I can get my water tested at a store today, but this stinks. I’m worried that I’m putting in amguard for nothing and that could be hurting stuff.

Some pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 167
Do water changes to reduce whatever is rotting in your tank. You’re likely over feeding and under-exporting nutrients. If there’s no distress on the part of the fish and corals besides a little shriveling, I wouldn’t worry too much yet. But long term, you want to likely reduce feeding and increase nutrient export (water changes, macro algae, skim wetter, etc).

Do water changes to reduce whatever is rotting in your tank. You’re likely over feeding and under-exporting nutrients. If there’s no distress on the part of the fish and corals besides a little shriveling, I wouldn’t worry too much yet. But long term, you want to likely reduce feeding and increase nutrient export (water changes, macro algae, skim wetter, etc).
Okay. My hammer and frogspawn just lost a little color and shriveled up even more, to be safe I’m going to out them in The 72 gallon tank which is more stable.

Mix fresh SW and test that. Test kits are known to be inaccurate and show a false reading
Yes, mine definitely did. Sorry for the false alarm, just checked my 72g which I know is good with ammonia and everything else and the test read .40 ppm. I’m guessing I probably had a little ammonia in my tank from over feeding or something like that, but not that much. Thanks everyone for the help.

Back