Upgrading ... How long do I wait for the ammonia cycle??

neptune

BRS Member
I am combining my 75 gallon reef tank and my 48 gallon reef tank into a single 180 dream tank. I kept all my live rock but decided not to keep my sand and opted for new wet sand - figi pink. The new system is up and running 3 days but I have not seen any ammonia spike. I had thought with all that new sand I would see a spike? I have about 50 pounds a LR in the 180 and the other tanks are holding the fish with the rest of the live rock. What does the group recommend as the best way to introduce the fish and remaining rock?

1. Put the remaining LR with all the fish tomorrow b/c the LR will is aged and will control ammonia.
2. Put 1/2 the LR and fish into the new system and give it time to adjust.
3. Introduce new fish slowly as if this was a new tank and go SLOW. Keep existing fish in safe tanks that are too small for them for a month slowly introducing a few at a time. ((I now have a yellow tank / blue tang in a 48 gallon tank! waiting to go to the new 180!)

thanks!!
Neptune

If there was no die off from the rock, I wouldn't expect a spike unless you are seeding the tank with ammonia of some form (putting food in the tank, chemical cycling product, etc.)
Jeff

I am feeding the tank... I am trying to force a spike before I put my fish back into the tank? I know if this were a new tank it would not be able to handle the bio load of my 25 ish fish.. but b/c I am using some aged water and LR from old tank is it ready for the fish to be put back in?

I really don't want to lose *any* of my fish. I painfully do TT on every fish that enters my system to ensure no ich.. each fish is an investment.

Imo you’ll never see a spike in ammonia since the biological system on the rock is already used to the bio load of your fish. As a precaution I’d probably buy a bottle of dr Tim’s one n only and dump the whole thing in or fritz 9000. You’ll probably see a spike if you wait to long because the bacteria in the rock will start starving without the bio load

I upgraded from a 65g to a 125g this past summer and never saw a spike. I kept my LR in a kiddie pool and put my livestock in a 29g. Started in the morning and was done by the afternoon. I used new sand seeded with a couple of cup fulls of sand from old tank. Live stock and corals went right in. I had no issues.

It can take a surprisingly long time for ammonia to show from decomposing food with no fish. If I were you I would either either put all the fish at once, or put everything but the tangs wait for a few days to make sure everything is going well and then add the tangs. You may be able to use this to allow more timid fish to establish their territory before adding more aggressive ones. Whatever you choose to do, measure ammonia twice per day (or use a Seneye). If it ever goes above 0 no big deal, just use a product like Seachem Prime. It's perfectly reef safe and it doesn't interfere with bacteria.

I jist finished combining my two smaller tanks to a bigger one and just transferred all the water and rock from the systems, added about 20% new water and all the sand is new. All I expect from this is the new sand to get a diatom bloom for a while…ime i hardly see an ammonia spike with new sand.

Took a 50g and 15g combined into 180g with sump. No loss. Heres how to do it old school. New sand new water new tank let run few days. Take half new water out of new rank and put to side. Swap everything into new tank including fish. No acclimation and take every drop of water you can and get it in new. Move rocks and fish. Then use new water to top off. Run system while equipment being swapped over. Do not clean equipment ie skimmer before swapping over. Need all biological. Do not use any old sand. Do not rinse anything. Once everything in new tank leave it alone to settle in. Scape in a week. Total maybe one hour. Walk everything over no need to put in buckets etc. Break down old tank. Clean. DO NOT OVERTHINK THIS. Your biological is suited to what you have. Its not in water column. Oh and while tank settling in. I highly advise that you don't add any fish or coral till your tank does its thang. You can add small amounts of dry rock if you haven't got a bucket cured. Hopefully you do because your gonna need it. Add that one cured rock at a time to build bioload. Keep cured rock heated and airated with pump.

Your rocks are established, so what do you think would even cause a spike if the bio-load (number of fish) is the same? Get your net and get busy fella!....lol

Your cycle is virtually guaranteed, enjoy it!.....

Back