Amphipod overload?

The River Reef

Non-member
So I have been starting to breed copepods (tisbe) which are a favorite for small mandarin, which I now own. In the meantime I order bogo pods from an online vendor as well as a sponge, sea whips, red grape macro. Great order, awesome product!
Anyway, the pods are all amphipods, I already dumped one bag in the tank and man they are everywhere now. I am concerned if I dump the other bag another 1k it will be bug city. Thank god my GF didn't see these guys go in, she would freak out! Lol
Can amphipods over take my tank? I also heard they will eat the copepods, not good cause my mandarin is small? Any advice? Anyone close by want them?

Here is one bag that is left... Creepy little things!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346867626.611886.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346867626.611886.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 121
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346867632.429528.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346867632.429528.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 116
Nah the excess will be eaten over a couple days by your fish, die off, or end up in your overflow if you run a filter sock.
But, you added 2K? I don;t exactly have a frame of reference but that seems like a lot for these, might be leary of a little nutrient spike when they die off in a 34g. May not be a concern, but I'd watch for it.

I only added 1 bag which is suppose to be 1k... I am giving the other bag to a member... I will watch for any spikes, I test every few days :)

I think you should be fine. My mandarin and other fish are always picking at rocks for food. Depending on your livestock, the pods should be consumed in no time.

Back