Anemone chopped up

UMan101

Non-member
Blah sad day. Pretty sure my anemone let go of his rock last night while I was asleep. Found some pieces stuck to the power head in the morning and the rest of him seems to be missing. Looked around the rocks too but no luck. I'm assuming he flew into the power head because of the flow and got chopped up. Sigh. Sucks he was my fav thing to look at in the tank. Clowns had been hosting him too

Couple questions:

1. How concerned should I be about my water? All tests came back great so far but will my water be in trouble later? I have 2 clowns, cleaner shrimp, crabs starfish, snails

2. I think I'm going to hold off on getting another one. But I'm curious for anyones who had success with anemones, how have you prevented yours from going into a power head? I had a cover on both but maybe the spacings were too big?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Change 50% of water right away will help a lot in this situation.
Organic matter can't be tested by test kits.

your nem maybe was dead before hitting the power head I had up to 15 nem at once on my tank and never see this happened .and my power head are a overkill to my 150 gallon I was running to jebaos rw-20 the moves tons of water and still never see a nem go in there .

Just finished the water change. Everything looks good so far. Let's hope it stays that way :)

He looked healthy prior to me going to sleep. Fully inflated, no gaping mouth, etc. But my pumps aren't as strong as yours so you could be right. Maybe I'll try again some day in the future

There are plenty of cases live and kicking (or moving) anemone hit powerheads.

+1 happened to me. Had a healthy anemone, had a powerhead, had anemone confetti. Also, did not take drastic measures and saw no major impact on the tank (110 gallons total).

I would suggest running lots of carbon if you're not set up for big water changes.

Chopped up BTA is a piece of cake when compared to chopped up carpet anemone, that was a bug mess.

I am using a Tunze wavebox and a propeller powerhead with no cover in my anemone tank. Anemone can't walking into the wavebox and won't stuck on powerhead fan guard.

My Magnifica had a brief run in with my powerhead. I luckily was standing right there and switched them right off. He got a small haircut, but seemed fine. A week to week and a half later you could not even tell it happened. I did a 20% water change to just be safe.

I just looked up the tunze wavebox. That looks perfect for avoiding an anemone getting cut up. I'll def consider upgrading to that or some type of guard for the next anemone

Back