Anenome Disapeared!!!

mano1192

Desert reefin!
Not sure if this has happened to anyone else but my anenome was on the move for a couple of days now. As soon as I noticed he was on the move I shut off my powerheads so he wouldn't get sucked up. Then last night before I went to bed he was way down at the bottom of my tank, then this morning he has vanished..... I searched and searched and he is nowhere to be found! He was very healthy also.... has this happened to any1 before?? :confused:

I've lost my anemones before, but they always seem to be trying out some horrible spot on the very back of the rockwork. Give it some time, and I'll bet he'll find a more visible spot where he gets better light.

yea I really hope so! I looked all over though and I think he might have disintegrated! When an anenome dies doesnt give off alot of toxins? Do they evaporate if they die? Thanx

I have a couple of BTA's. They moved about for the first week but settled in after they found a home they liked. They are both in high spots in the tank and have mounted themselves somewhat underneath a rock. They stay out most of the day. In the afternoon they will regress a bit under the rock ledge as they most likely had their fill of the light. Yours is most likely still on the move under a rock trying to find that right spot. How long have you had it?
Rich

gordonzoo said:
How long have you had it?
Rich

For around 2 months now, he stayed right where i put him originally, then I did some rearanging and he started to move which I expected, but my tank is only a 40 gal... so I guess i just expect to find him no matter where he thinks he can hide :rolleyes: Guess Ill just wait it out. Hey anyone in the Framingham area got any frags I can buy from them?? I would like to go to the meeting this saturday but have to work :(

do you know what kind it is? He could be having trouble with the water quality if things got stirred up when you moved rocks. Were you feeding it?

Be careful because an anemone death can wipe out your whole tank

thanks for the welcome! Im not sure exactly what kind it is, Ill have to check when I get home, but yes I feed him some shrimp like twice a week. The water is good, got no problems there, but I'm sure hes like hidden in cave my engineer goby made! Man those things can seriously dig!!

Is it possible he had expelled his water and was tiny when you were looking for him? I know my anemones sometimes shrivel up into practically nothing...if yours moved into the right place maybe you just wouldn't be able to see him in that state?

One of my BTAs is on the move. Has been for about 4-5 days now. I don't know why, since the other is staying put. It's a pain in the arse though...I have to keep moving corals that are in it's path.

It is pretty important to find out what kind he is. Anemones can be tough to keep and their requirements can vary greatly depending on the type. It is good to hear you are feeding him well.

Moving around and hidding is generally a bad sign, but could be due to something as simple as temperature changes with the recent hot weather. Whatever made him move could have made him split too, so if you find two, don't be surprised. When they die the generally disintegrate, but that makes a large mess and after a day it will be a big slimy white goo cloud around the body, so you should find it if he died.

You can get some plastic craft mesh at walmart or a craft store and make a cover for your powerheads, or get sponge covers.

Back