Angel quarantining

K1conway

BRS Member
Every fish in my tank does tank transfer method for quarantine. I’ve now had two failed attempts at TTM for angels (one coral beauty, one flame—-ouch). From my post mortem internet searching, looks like they are notoriously hard to get through quarantine.

Ideas on how to get it done? Or at this point just a pre-quarantined place to get one from?

I know I am in the minority but I do not like the ttm method. I think it’s stressful for fish especially the fish you are referring to (angels). I keep a 30 gallon qt going in my basement and every fish I add to either of my tanks go through about an 8 week treatment. I treat with copper power for a minimum of 3 weeks at therapeutic levels. I then do a round of general cure and metroplex. Haven’t had issues in the 9 years my qt has been set up. I have lost an Achilles tang and an emperor angel during qt, most likely due to stress. It’s very important when you do treatments you monitor levels closely.

I've got a bellus and swallowtail both from Dr reef, as I also didn't want to risk not knowing the proper steps.

I've got a bellus and swallowtail both from Dr reef, as I also didn't want to risk not knowing the proper steps.
Thanks! I think I’m going to go that route. I’ve had 100% success with everything doing the TTM but these two, so frustrating

How long do you run in between water changes. We qt pygmy angels regularly with no issue in our TTM process
I follow the humble fish schedule so 72 hours each tank. I do ammo-lock every morning. There was also a neon dotty in this qt and that fish is fine. I’m thinking I may just end up leaving the angel quarantine to a professional and buying it after

Wondering if perhaps it wasn't just a source issue in this case. I would be more concerned about the copper than the TTM for pygmy angels. We just sold our last Coral Beauty today otherwise I would offer, but we are sourcing some Flame Angelfish to go into the TTM system for a few customers now if interested

Wondering if perhaps it wasn't just a source issue in this case. I would be more concerned about the copper than the TTM for pygmy angels. We just sold our last Coral Beauty today otherwise I would offer, but we are sourcing some Flame Angelfish to go into the TTM system for a few customers now if interested
It’s possible it was a source issue. That was what I thought after I lost the coral beauty, but two angels now I was a little more suspicious. Maybe they are generally just a bit more delicate.

I do find that TTM is much easier on fish in general than when I would QT with copper years ago. For angels though I think I will be sourcing one post-qt now!

Why don’t you try quarantining them without any copper or medicine unless they show signs and need the more stressful treatment? If they eat and seem fine for 30 or however many days you choose, it may be a better option.

Why don’t you try quarantining them without any copper or medicine unless they show signs and need the more stressful treatment? If they eat and seem fine for 30 or however many days you choose, it may be a better option.
For the TTM method they don’t get medicated at all. I find copper stressful in general so this avoids it. Basically they spend 72 hours at a time in a basic qt and then get transferred to another 4 times to “outrun” the parasite cycle. Neither angel has made it past the first 72 hours. I’ve done tangs, clowns, blennies, even a mandarin this way and they were all fine.

Could be a source issue, could be a hyper sensitive fish issue. Not sure, but I’ll be sourcing an already quarantined angel the next go round!

I was just lucky with my Coral Beauty. I have a running QT tank set up, it ate immediately and showed no signs of disease for four weeks before transfer into DT.
Just researched the TTM method. Looks like a sound technique, however the multiple catch & release required for TTM, so soon after it's unknown journey from it's wild catch to your tank, seems like it could over stress some fish.
Good luck with your future angels

Back