Another Lighting question

Blueflu1

The Acan Reaper!
I have an outer orbit fixture with 2 250w DE bulbs. I believe that the stock bulbs are 10K. I also have 2 420nw and 2 460nw actinic.

Question #1- about what is the useable lifespan of these bulbs.

Question #1 What are good replacement MH bulbs. I was thinking of going to 14K bulbs because I have a bit too much of a yellowish hue to my bulbs. I am unsure though if it will help or hurt my corals.

The fixture is only about 6 months old now but I wanna start planning my bulb change before it is upon me.

here is my specifications currently

Each Outer Orbit HQI/T5HO fixture features PowerPaq 10,000K HQI lamp(s), SlimPaq T5HO Actinic 420nm & 460nm lamps, cooling fans, glass lens, German parabolic Powerwrap & hammertone reflectors, docking mounts, hanging kit and automatic timers. 250 watt fixtures feature remote fan-cooled magnetic ballast HQI driving systems.

Model: - 1077 - Length: 48"

- 10,000K PowerPaq HQI: 2x250 Watt - Actinic 460nm: 2x54W

- Actinic 420nm: 2x54W - Lunar Light Blue/White: 9/9

- Dimensions: 48" x 15" x 4.25" - Total Watts: 729

I just picked up the exact same fixture for use over my 120. It needed new bulbs so I am trying the ushio aqualight 14k MH. I like the fact that it has multiple T5 bulbs too. You can mix and match to get the color you like. I am also trying a combination of UL lighting super actinic and giesemann powerchrome actinic +. I am hoping they’ll give the coral a nice pop. I don’t have any coral livestock yet and the bulbs need to burn in but so far I like the look.

Rob are the actinic bulbs T5 or PC? If they're T5 you could swap them out for some ATI Blue + and get a much better blue look and would at least double the PAR output from the actinic bulbs. The ATI Blue + aren't actinic bulbs but blue bulbs so you might loose some of that extra "pop" from the actinic bulbs but I can't notice on my tank...

I don't think you are going to "double" the par. I just tested a uvl super actinic t-5. I did the test 1/2" from the bulb to minimise the light spillage from the adjacent bulb, a 10k uvl sun something bulb. Super actinic-400, 10k-500, far less than double. For comparison, a true actinic 95w vho only put out 350.

You could try 2 ATI Blue + instead of buying 2 new MH bulbs which should be cheaper... And if you don't like it I'm sure you could easily sell them because they're awesome bulbs...

You could try 2 ATI Blue + instead of buying 2 new MH bulbs which should be cheaper... And if you don't like it I'm sure you could easily sell them because they're awesome bulbs...

I don't know which ones I would swap out. There are 4 t5's. Two 420nm and two 460nm.

Back