Another newbie question. - My tank has an odor

simpleminded

Non-member
So not to seem overly anxious but I hope I can find the sage advice that I seek.
**First Salt Tank***
Got 30lbs of live rock for my 29 gal. It's been in about day. It has begun to put of an odor. Not to pungent, and not really strong enough to call it a sulfur like smell, but getting there.

Is part of my initial cycle?

And no I dont have a Protein Skimmer, it should arrive next week.

Thanks, and thanks to all the help on my last post.

More then likely the live rock was not 100% cured and you are smelling some dieoff. Pretty normal. If it gets too bad you can take the rocks out and sniff out the bad one then just scrub the dead stuff off.

Welcome to saltwater!

Yep, that smell is part of the cycle. Very common especially with uncured rock due to the larger amount of decay. On my old tank I had a stench for about a week, so all you need to do is wait it out. Good luck.

*Edit* Clamm beat me to it!

Welcome to the BRS!

The smell will go away when the cycle is about half done. The cycle is just having stinky dead stuf in the tank to grow the stuff that eats the stinky dead stuff so new stuff doesn't die and stink.

~Flighty~ said:
The smell will go away when the cycle is about half done. The cycle is just having stinky dead stuf in the tank to grow the stuff that eats the stinky dead stuff so new stuff doesn't die and stink.

That made me giggle outloud, and my co-workers think I've lost it.

~Flighty~ said:
Welcome to the BRS!

Funny thing is .... I just makes sooo much sense to me!! :D

Back