Another spawning event post

marco67

Smart is.. a box of rocks
BRS Member
Well we have a mated pair of Bangi Cards. Over the years we've been able to rear (and give or trade away a couple of dozen babies) Lately they have been especially frisky with the male releasing a brood once a month regularly. Seems no sooner does he release than we notice him with a mouthful again. (right now we have 3 generations of babies in the regugium, counting the parents 7 generations in the system). Up until yesterday we never witnessed the actual transfer of eggs.
Anyhow yesterday I get home and sure enough there they are, acting like a couple of highschool kids parked in dads car. When he swims under her head up and boom she lets loose a string of eggs into his mouth. this went on all night over and over again.
And yes there are pics! But of course I only got a couple before my batteries went, by the time I changed the the main lights had cycled down :confused:

A couple of things to note here;
Yes my tanks at home are suffering from neglect, I've got some flow and hair issues! Normally I would never post a pic when it looks like this.
But working 14 and 16 hour days trying to get the store open bla bla bla excuse! So take it easy on that please? ;)

Second note how he keeps her "banner" fin (not sure the real name) nipped down to almost nothing while his flies proud. I've always been able to tell when they had been "at it" because she will have fin damage.
Dominant male thing!?

First one the approach

Attachments

• cards spawning.JPG
    cards spawning.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 237
Then the mouthfull

Attachments

• male card-mouthfull.JPG
    male card-mouthfull.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 230
Cool pics Mark.Maybe in a month or so i would buy a couple off of you(Fighting ich right now).

Here's two of the last brood 10-11-04 release date.
BTW for scale upper middle right border that's a hermit.
Babies are about 1/4" These are 2 of 4 I have been unable to net out.
These are the first ones that have made it more than a night in the main tank.
They are getting pretty brazen now cruising the main water column.

Attachments

• 10-11-04 baby cards pic date 10-24.JPG
    10-11-04 baby cards pic date 10-24.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
MArco, pretty cool. I was wondering if there was any way to tell if a Bangai is male or female. I have a pair in a fish only, they do hang out together but I have no idea if they are male and female.
Thanks

good job marc. i just found four newborns in my fuge, must be the time of year or something like that. montec the only way i can sex bangaii is after the male's jaw has dropped after giving birth. chances after you either have a male/female pair or female/female pair.

If I see a pair together I can sex them by the length of the males pectoral fins (about 1.5X the females), and his banner(also at least 1.5X the females).

We started out with four babies. Two lasted about six months then disappeared. They were the smaller two of four. We've had them almost a year. Seems to me they should be breeding now at that age if they're a male and female.

Marc this is SO cool.
I have seen photos of everything breeding-related with the cardinals... except the egg transfer! Great shots. Thanks for taking the time to share these photos... even with all you've got going on.

bec

Back