Any WP-10 Wavemaker users out there?

dakar652

dakar652
I've now had my setup for 2 months, and I'm just figuring out that the WP-10 Wavemaker is actually supposed to create a wave-like environment in my tank (30JBJ probably has a little over 20 gallons in the display). I just flipped it on 'else' and didn't worry about what all the other buttons/settings did...but now I'm envious of those of you who have figured out how to create this 'wave' in your tanks.

I guess my questions are as follows:

1. How close to the top of the tank are you putting the powerhead?

2. What setting are you using on tanks from 20-24" across (and approximately what rotation on the 'speed dial' are you set at)

3. Are you using any other pumps to supplement? If so, what is their placement in relation to the wp-10?

4. How long should I wait after each adjustment before the 'wave' will actually start to happen?

5. Is it really necessary to use the 'feed' button? I haven't yet, but maybe I should give my little clowns a rest during feeding?

I think I might throw my old Koralia in there and put it on the same timer as my skimmer to run during the daylight hours only.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Should go for rw-8 . The new series allows speed control
The wp series does not allow you to control the speed

Should go for rw-8 . The new series allows speed control
The wp series does not allow you to control the speed

Thanks for the recommendation, I guess...but not really what I was looking for. I'm not in a position where I have money to burn right now, nor have I ever been the kind of person to buy something I don't need when I have something that will do the job adequately already.

set it on W1 and turn the nob slowly till you get a desirable wave.

I would give it a couple seconds before moving the dial each time, it builds the wave pretty quick in the smaller tanks. I have a similar setup and when I was using the WP10 I think I had the dial set maybe a third of a turn from the starting position if that makes sense.

Thanks guys...concerning depth? I'm not sure if I should put it as close to the top as possible or what. Can I put my koralia on the other side, or will this mess everything up?

with my jbwave controller the recommendation was towards the back or even on the back wall about 2/3rds of the way down facing up and towards the middle of the front glass if that helps.

I have two of the jebao's and two constant on power heads and still get waves, so possible but lots of variables. I have probably spent hours getting what I consider decent placement for waves and flow and every couple of weeks I try something different looking for the perfect setup.

with my jbwave controller the recommendation was towards the back or even on the back wall about 2/3rds of the way down facing up and towards the middle of the front glass if that helps.

I have two of the jebao's and two constant on power heads and still get waves, so possible but lots of variables. I have probably spent hours getting what I consider decent placement for waves and flow and every couple of weeks I try something different looking for the perfect setup.

very helpful answer! concerning the time it will take me to make the right wave, it'll give me something to do this winter when I can't go out on my motorcycle or work on the house. beautiful pup in your avatar, btw.

i'll let you know how it goes when I mess with it tonight. thanks again!

thanks that's Ben and he really hates me spending all my spare time lately on the fish tank but he is getting used to it, he stillgets cranky if I ignore him too long while working on the tank and when I feed the fish he is right there begging too, kinda funny.

My bike is put away too and almost all outside activities are on hold till spring other than hikes with the dogs as weather permits so perfect time to spend more time upgrading/reconfiguring/rescaping the tank,
good luck getting that perfect wave

Got my wave!

On the downside, I cleaned my wp10 powerhead, and now it's making a wicked noise! Ugh...oh well...maybe I'll pull it apart again tonight and see if I can figure out the issue.

Had two, hated them. Kept freezing of in wave mode or after off at night time on a dual control with a sensor. Chucked them in the trash and bought Tunze. Sure they cost twice as much but they last 10+ years. I don't have to worry when I'm on vacation when my tank is on auto mode with auto feed, auto top off and is being checked on every 2-3 days by friend.

I think the problem is ceramic shaft on two ceramic shoes. WP-10 and 25 have these problem due to the small motors.
WP-60 or RW-20 do not have these issues as the motor can power a small boat, (well, tiny boat)

Just check to make sure when you put everything back together tightly after you cleaned it. Specifically as stated above, make sure the shaft is properly seated. Sometimes it is hard to tell if it is in all the way.

yeah...everything was put back together properly. figured out the source of the noise was that when I installed the powerhead in the tank, I actually put it so close to the tank divider (separates the main tank from the 'filter' area) at the back of the tank that it was touching the back wall. my roommate noticed it and after I moved the powerhead the noise went away.

I should mention that I got the powerhead/controller as part of an equipment 'package deal', so if it ever fails, I'm not really out anything. at which point i'll probably buy a tunze or something with slightly better build quality.

either way, I really like the wave action in the tank now...so cool how it makes it all the way down to the bottom where my softies are (pulsing xenia/frogspawn/mushies) and even the fish/shrimp seem to move with the wave...one of my clowns thinks its fun to ride the wave up and down near the surface.

Had two, hated them. Kept freezing of in wave mode or after off at night time on a dual control with a sensor.

same thing happend to my wp25s. I have it running on constant right now, and even still it is starting to freeze.

I am trying to shop replacement power heads for my main tank and our nano. I don;t know if I should just replace my WP25 for my tank and a WP10 for the nano, RW4/RW15 combo, of even just bite the bullet and try to find used mp40es and an mp10es.

same thing happend to my wp25s. I have it running on constant right now, and even still it is starting to freeze.

I am trying to shop replacement power heads for my main tank and our nano. I don;t know if I should just replace my WP25 for my tank and a WP10 for the nano, RW4/RW15 combo, of even just bite the bullet and try to find used mp40es and an mp10es.

FWIW, I replaced my two WP40's & WP25's with MP40's and MP10's. THe Vortechs are sold on here often enough you should not need to buy them new.

I say save your money and buy an MP-10 over the WPs. I have both. The Vortechs are over a year old, cleaned twice a month and never failed. The results speak for themselves. The WPs produce no noticeable undertow, take up more tank space and offer way less options. The WPs offer good brute force though.

I already have the wp10...if I was looking for reccomendations on other wave makers, the title of my post would have been 'any other wave makers out there besides the wp10' or the likes. I got ot as part of a package deal, and was wondering how to use it...that's all. Fin.

I say save your money and buy an MP-10 over the WPs. I have both. The Vortechs are over a year old, cleaned twice a month and never failed. The results speak for themselves. The WPs produce no noticeable undertow, take up more tank space and offer way less options. The WPs offer good brute force though.

Back