Anyone have a Marineland skimmer?

Tcancel

Non-member
Im looking for a Skimmer for a 180g FOWLR. Liveaquaria.com has the Marine pro 300 on sale for $159.99 plus free shipping, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Any advice will be helpful. Thank you.

I'd be careful with the marineland skimmer... I think, But i'm not sure but Turbosnail had one and shortly after he bought it, The pump surned up and crashed his tank... I'm pretty sure it was a marineland skimmer...

I'd be careful with the marineland skimmer... I think, But i'm not sure but Turbosnail had one and shortly after he bought it, The pump surned up and crashed his tank... I'm pretty sure it was a marineland skimmer...

Yes it was a used skimmer but the pump shorted on the inside and burned the tar they put inside and it smoked overnight and dumped it all into my display and killed all my fish and most corals. I personaly hate Marineland products I have had nothing but trouble with there stuff and when I emailed them about it they just blew me off. Not even a we are sorry or anything.

Thank you and sorry to hear about that crash. Any you recomend for someone on a budget?

That was last year I have a new tank now. I use an ASM G3 with a Sedra 5000 pump that's good for 250g on my 125 and it works great. It is like $340 on Marinedepot. If you buy cheap you get cheap. Look through the FS threads I have seen a bunch of skimmers for sale recently.

I had/have a Marineland Pro 100 on the 45 gallon Marineland cube that I am selling. The skimmer didn't skim anything for a month or two. I wanted to return this skimmer, but I couldn't. I ended up leaving it run and it started skimming after about 4-5 months. It finally started pulling dark brown skimmate out after around 8 months. In contrast, my Nano Reef systems (Reef Dynamics) skimmer for my previous Solana started pulling dark brown skimmate out of the Solana within a week.

I personally wouldn't have bought a Marineland skimmer, but it was the only skimmer that worked for the Marineland C3 sump and I thought I would give it a try.

Im looking for a Skimmer for a 180g FOWLR. Liveaquaria.com has the Marine pro 300 on sale for $159.99 plus free shipping, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Any advice will be helpful. Thank you.

I do. It works great. It was skimming in less than 24 hours.

Some of the pipes come already glued and sealed. One was leaking, so I put teflon tape on all fittings and some silicone. Anyways, I always do that for every kimmer, as a precaution, I just got lazy with this one.

A lot of people make a big mistake with this skimmer: They put the pump too low in the water, and it doesnt skim. Then they say the skimmer doesnt work. If you bring the pump up it starts pumping more air and skimming like crazy. The ones that tell you the skimmer doesnt skim made that mistake.
I tried it on mine, and if I lower my pump 2" it stops skimming. The pump still is 6-7" underwater, so its not like it has to be right at the water level.

Also, micro bubles is not an issue at all. I put a small filter pad on top of their filter and have 0 micro bubbles.

Last edited:
Micro bubbles not being an issue is very important, since the skimmer will be in the same compartment as the return pump. And yes, cash is an issue. Thank you all for your input. Im still trying to decide, so keep those suggestions comming.

Micro bubbles not being an issue is very important, since the skimmer will be in the same compartment as the return pump. And yes, cash is an issue. Thank you all for your input. Im still trying to decide, so keep those suggestions comming.
Mine is right next to the return pump. I decided to not use any compartments.
If you want, you can stop by and check it out. I'm near Plymouth.

On a side note: are there better skimmers?---yes.
Does this skimmer do a good job?---in my experience, yes.

Back