Anyone have problems with the 6 hour dip on BRS?

new2saltyfish

Non-member
I tried the 6 hour dip process for the first time (the one listed on the website) and i'm pretty sure all my corals (5 frags) that i dipped are either dead or very close to it. I did the 5 hours and 45 of 1/4 tab interceptor and 15 minutes of betadine and two of the corals came out bleach white and you can see skeleton as well as receded polyps, and the other 3 have some color but it looks like the skeleton is just a different color then white. Anyone else tried this BRS dip and had the same bad results?

i do that procedure all the time but only on sps......everything else gets 5-10 min of coral rx

I've had problems before but I'd rather kill a frag than risk getting something in my tank... But that's just me :p

i'd rather not kill anything tho. Is 15 minutes too long? $120 dollars worth of frags and pretty sure they all bit the dust

I've never had a problem with that dip process other than the iodine staining corals brown. How was your temp and water movement?

I've had very few losses when doing the 6 hour process. Maybe your concentration of betadine was too much and too long. I do 6 hours of interceptor, 15-30 minutes of FWE, and roughly 7 mintes if iodine. FWIW, I also add an airstone when I'm treating incoming corals.

my whole process was setting up the 5 gallon bucket with 1 gallon of water, the small powerhead, and small heater the night before. In the morning the temp was a stable 78 degrees. I temp acclimated the corals in individual cups first then after 15 minutes i put them in the water. Then i crushed up about 1/8th interceptor because it says 1/4 for 3 gallons so i figured smaller would do the trick. Then after 5hours:45min i put in 12 ml of betadine (in the write up it says 34ml per 3 gallons) waited 15 minutes, rinsed the frags off in a cup of tank water and realized the water in the cup was loaded with debris...didn't notice that this was probably the skin of the coral until i looked at the frags after i placed them in the tank. Does it look like i did anything wrong in this process?

15 minutes is to short the time frame, for Betadine treament for AEFW has always been 20 minutes.

I run Interceptor for 6hrs and during the last half hour I run Betadine. Betadine is dosed at 3ml per litre

Betadine nukes the color of many corals but they start to color back up in a few days. I find running an air stone to be much better than powerhead for aeration. Success rate is drastically better.

Last edited:
15 minutes is to short the time frame, for Betadine treament for AEFW has always been 20 minutes.

I run Interceptor for 6hrs and during the last half hour I run Betadine. Betadine is dosed at 3ml per litre

Betadine nukes the color of many corals but they start to color back up in a few days. I find running an air stone to be much better than powerhead for aeration. Success rate is drastically better.

plus one on the airstone....medicine rob the water of 02........ driving air in with an airstone is key!!! this will prevent the corals being dipped or bathed from suffocating....

a powerhead doesn't do it!! Unless ur pulling 02 with an airline from the powerhead out of the bucket..

I tried the 6 hour dip process for the first time (the one listed on the website) and i'm pretty sure all my corals (5 frags) that i dipped are either dead or very close to it. I did the 5 hours and 45 of 1/4 tab interceptor and 15 minutes of betadine and two of the corals came out bleach white and you can see skeleton as well as receded polyps, and the other 3 have some color but it looks like the skeleton is just a different color then white. Anyone else tried this BRS dip and had the same bad results?

did I read correctly...a quarter tab of interceptor? how big was the vessel you did the bath in? 70 gals? that was way too much interceptor if I read that right...

you only need like 6-8 mg for a 5 gal bucket..the extra interceptor with the betadine is the double whammy...betadine can b pretty brutal.. (but that is the risk that should be taken to ensure you don't introduce pests into the system....

I use levamisole for 5 hours (1 hour into the interceptor) total 6 hours....than I use a 20 min dip in tropic marin pro coral cure... remember...any rubble not fresh may possibly have eggs on it. So don't even bother using it until it has been dried & clean!!! pretty important after the dip to purge the corals that were treated.. (by switching them out of vessels with tank water every 10 mins) couple times is good enough..prevents you from loosing any crabs or snails that may pic on the coral once it goes into the tank. cause they can get poisoned from it posssibly...

Last edited:
Noo the tab was a normal tab...i used 1/8th of a tab like tiny tiny fingernail in a 5 gallon bucket with one gallon of water.(it's the going procedure on the BRS link i posted...it said use 1/4 size for 3 gallons and i used 1/8th for about 1-1.5 gals). Hmm i'll have to PM you aquaman because i'm definitely not using this same method again.

Last edited:
That 1/8 of a 51-100lb interceptor tab will treat about 45 gallons. As mentioned 1 pill treats 380 gallons of water. May have stressed out the corals at 45x the normal treatment. Also I find with betadine, if I am not careful to add real slow in an area with good agitation I can kill frags from the local high concentration. I use an airstone like other mentioned and when I add betadine, I turn on a small powerhead and dump a little into the intake a little at a time to mix it well. I do 6-12hrs interceptor with 20-30 minutes of betadine. Has worked for years, only issue I have ever seen is if I add betadine to quickly and don't mix it up quickly exposing some frags to a concentrated solution.

Back