Anyone here using Ocean motion?

The Squirt is the small version of the OceansMotions. It's capable of 1300gph and anything beyond that a bypass valve is needed. The Squirt's motor is magnetically driven so a more powerfull pump would overpower the motor. The Squirt has only one drum option at this time and it allows for 1 1/2 ports to be open at all time as the drum spins.

The larger 4-Way OM does not have a magnetically driven motor and is capable of handling as much flow as you like. You can also get different drums for it that allow for different openings to be open. Version 1 has outlets running sequentially, (ie) 1, 2, 3 , 4. Version 2 will give a delayed sequence 1 & 2, 2 & 3, 3 & 4, 4 & 1. There are 4 different drum versions and they are listed on the OM page.

Yes you can plumb it through the back of the tank or bottom. That all depends on what your comfortable with. Nuno has some pictures of his setup linked in the Equipment Photography thread. He goes through the back. I just finished drilling my tank for the 4 returns through the back wall. I still need to drill another hole for the closed loop intake. I will have a total of 7 or 8 holes in the back of my 40 breeder. I hope I'm not asking for trouble. :D

Dedfish - thanks for the detailed info. I have looked at the OM site many times, but your explanation made things a lot more clear. I was thinking that you were talking about plumbing the revolution - that's why I was so confused - my mistake. But your explanation was very helpful. I'm thinking about going with the OM 4 when I get a bigger tank, but I'm worried about all of the holes I'll have to have drilled in the back/bottom of the tank. :eek: Let me know how it goes.

Daire

Daire -

It would be great having you over during what is turning out to be the Monday 'tour.' We can all talk about the OM and the various ways of plumbing it. Mine is plumbed over the top 'cause my tank was already up and running. If I were to start over... I'd drill the tank... probably from the back and sides. I'm not a great fan of drilling from beneath, but people do it all the time. Don't worry... drilling isn't a big deal as long as you get someone who knows how. There seem to be quite a few out there now!

dedfish -
As for 7-8 holes in the back of a 40 breeder... I'm no expert, but I'd say you're definitely asking for trouble. Every time you open up a hole the structural integrity of the tank is compromised. A 40 breeder isn't that big (36"x18" along the back glass?). 7-8 holes of what... 1.5" or so for each bulkhead... in the back of even a large tank is a lot. Again... just my opinion.

b

Too late to tell me that now. :eek: Six holes are drilled and at least one more is coming. Good news is that the 6 holes are all along the top edge so at least thats good, right? :confused:

Oh well full steam ahead at what's looking to be the most complicated over thought 40 breeder in history. :D

Since we're on the topic, there's no minimum flow require for this to work right? I have an oceanrunner 250 which is rated at 650GPH for a return and wish to attach with the OM. I think i'll be getting the squirt. Uh.....does it cause a sand storm? My tank is fairly small, 24x18x22, and having the four ways OM might be too much? I'll be putting a small PH in the tank also just to have some kind of flow in the event of Return-Pump-Failure.

this is me, no minimum. The OM units are powered by a seperate motor and not by water preasure like a SCWD.

dedfish -
Just be careful about pressure against that back wall. I wouldn't lean too many rocks against it if possible. You just don't want to stress it too much with all of those holes back there.

Daire -
See you Monday at 6PM! There are at least 3 people coming that I know of at this point. We'll have a nice time.

this is me -
As dedfish says... no minimum for the OM. Just imagine Oceanrunner's 650 gph coming from 4 (4 way) or 2 (squirt?) different areas of the tank at a time. Depending upon where your corals and sand is, you may have to do some adjustments to make sure there isn't a mess... but you should be able to adjust the outlets to hit rocks or the glass so that there isn't a mess. 650 gph is managable in that tank.

b

Back