anyone useing steve Tyree's natural filtration method?

nitrofish

reefing again!
steve Tyree basicly uses live rock in an unlit sump for his natural filtration method. has anyone else tryed this method? I recently switched from a refugium to this method , and im not sure what to expect. also how long does it take to become active, I know it takes time for sponges and other things to grow on the rock, but how long can I expect before its at full potential.

also my live rock dosen't really have anything growing on it, should I buy a small package of fresh live rock to seed the other rock?

I'm using it with a twist. NeO built it: I have about a 17 gallon unlit sump full of LR (about 30 pounds) on one side of the underneath of my stand, but I'm also running a fuge with PC light, DBS, more LR and chaeto on a 17 gallon sump on the other side. Both dump into a filter sock in a central sump which also has a skimmer, carbon, and the return.

Since I did the sump expansion, my parameters have gotten a lot better......

BTW, I have a ton of small sponges growing in my overflow.......do you have any in yours?

BTW, I have a ton of small sponges growing in my overflow.......do you have any in yours?

I don't have an overflow box, im just useing a drilled tank with bulkhead and strainer.

im also useing a skimmer, I don't think steve Tyree uses one on his setup.

For my next setup, not exactly like steve Tyree method but i am planning to setup as natural filtration without skimmer. I am planning to get lots of filter feeders (feather dusters, sponges, sea skirts, tiny feather dusters etc...) along with pods, worms etc. I think you should get some quality live rock to seed your other rock. Also if you can get sponges and other filter feeders, that will also help you a lot with natural filtration. I believe steve Tyree also sells certain types of sponges etc... if you want to try his method.

For my next setup, not exactly like steve Tyree method but i am planning to setup as natural filtration without skimmer. I am planning to get lots of filter feeders (feather dusters, sponges, sea skirts, tiny feather dusters etc...) along with pods, worms etc. I think you should get some quality live rock to seed your other rock. Also if you can get sponges and other filter feeders, that will also help you a lot with natural filtration. I believe steve Tyree also sells certain types of sponges etc... if you want to try his method.

what was is website again?

Back