Apex controller system

Jaime

Non-member
Giving it another try been considering the apex controller system just got done reading 2 pages of reviews on the brs website. First two pages are negative reviews which makes me think this isn't the product for me. I'd like to know if there is a competing product that has the same functions as the apex. If so I'd like some feed back on those products

Get a GHL Profilux, nothing but positivity from me so far. There's a few of us that run these on here.

My dashboard:
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Could look at the Coralvue Hydros as well. My only gripe with that one is the wireless powerbar and some of the fail safe/fall back options but rumor has it they have listened to the complaints about that and are in the works to make a powerbar that is wired...

I suppose some of that decision depends on the type of automation you'd like to use. If you want to be able to access the system remotely, through an app, your network, or the web; I would go with GHL. They've been around for at least a decade, plenty of time to optimize and debug their products. By comparison, the Apex system has only been out for a few years. I'm not very familiar with Coralvue's offering but that seems like a fairly new product too.

You don't want to be beta testing the life support unit of your tank is not ideal. Nor do you want to buy a product that may be abandoned. As a former Digital Aquatics (DA) controller owner, having orphaned products sucks.

If you want a non-networked controller with fewer advanced capabilities. buy a used Apex (the older black version) but get new power bars. That's ultimelty what I did when I replaced my DA controller. I considered getting a Profilux, but its capabilities far exceeded my needs. The older Apex's are very reliable; though programming them is a little convoluted. That's also the most economical option.

I specifically did not want to have my system networked but that's certainly possible with an older Apex controller. Getting it to work requires a fair bit of tech savy.

Given the vagaries of network connections and poorly written software, being able to physically interact with the controller is essential.

Thanks for the input everyone. I just spent a few hours reading and watching videos on the apex and GHL pro. I have decided to go with the apex also throwing a trident in the shopping cart along with a reef breader photon 48v2 as well.

I think ultimately it comes down to what you need as @Sean Irwin mentioned. Each setup has their own pros and cons.

Just hope you're taking advantage of the nice 10% of MAP pricing that's going on right now. I really want to pull the trigger especially with one vendor offering 12 months free financing!!! (free money in my world lol)

I started this build early April picked up a 150 gallon 4L 3H 2W trigger emerald 39 ,tunze 9430 skimmer, 2 mp40's, 400 watt titanium heater. Last night ordered the reef breeder photon v2 48 ,apex controller and the Triton still got a aways to go before I put it all together but it's nice to see it coming a long. Definitely waited to November for the more expensive stuff like the order from last night.

Back