Apex help

Dalesreef

Non-member
So a few days I found my apex display frozen wouldn't do anything so I unplugged it and plugged it back in now it's a black screen and beeps every now and then still does even though it been unplugged for 3 days weird

I ordered a new apex display and just received it today and it's a solid blue screen won't do anything

Any ideas on what might be going on or what I could do
Thanks

I have the same issue with a friend's new apex, the display is sold blue with a short line of txt displayed at the top right.
sent a ticket to Apex to see what happen tomorrow.

I sent a ticket to them to
This morning all i got for a response was to try and update it but I couldn't access it from my tablet so need to try from a computer but I haven't had a computer in years so kinda screwed there lol

I was reading last night how to update the firmware. If that is what Apex told you, then you need a working display, because you need to work with the display and the computer. If the display is solid blue you can't do an update.

If you live nearby Westford we can try with my Mac during the weekend. But, based on the firmware update indications, the display needs to be working.

You can 100% do a firmware upgrade without touching the display. You just have to do a few of the steps they recommend doing via teh display unit (to keep it simple) via the web interface but I never touch my display when I update the firmware on mine.

Where are you located? I might be able to help as well depending on location / distance from Wakefield.

I know someone (may have been on RC) had a similar problem was to delete the display module from apex config, update firmware, plug it back in, let it reinitialize and it turned their display back on....if that doesn't work it may need to be repaired.

Thanks,
Steve

Dale, can you see the setup manual when pushing the big round button in the middle?

The Apex assign a bus value (Like an address) to each module it adds including the display. Some times when you replace a display it may think there are two and lose the config. I actually had this issue of blank or missing display. Assuming its not an apex junior but one with both an eb8 and an apex head (Computer ).

I would try some different power cycles to see if you can recover. First always make sure display is plugged in first. Don't plug it in after. If you remember which APEX bus (Sudo USB) location it was originally plugged in use the same. Never plug a true USB device in APEX. First try plugging in the APEX head end first to power then the EB8. See if the display recovers when its tarts up and the leds are both green. If that does not work try doing the reverse EB8 fist then head end. Last try go for both at same time. You may see the display start up. Also try both displays at same time. Be sure too wait 5 to 10 minutes before each power cycle try. Startup can take a few min. I forget how long it depends on your config i think.

Finally it just may not recognize that display as first on the bus. You should be able to connect to the APEX directly with a cable. A standard Ethernet cable will work as a crossover with the apex. As long as you know the apex IP you can connect to the web GUI. It should also work plugged directly in a router along with a computer you can't use WIFI.

You may also be able to connect with out the IP using this URL. http://apex/nstatus.sht Once you log in the apex you will be able to see if there are multiple display modules. Check display the settings. Finally if your now configured directly. Back up your settings. Update the firmware. I have seen that to recover from confused display modules.
You need updated firmware to use all the latest features anyway. Sometimes there are bug fixes needed also. your display issue may be one of those bugs.

Last edited:
Do both the head unit and the eb8 have green lights. If they do and you cant access the web GUI with tablet. You have to get a computer with ethernet. Also the URL I gave won't work on all tablets if any.
Its a windows thing. It does not work with my ipad. You have to know the IP address to use tablet. Or have the DNS name you use defined ahead of time. Or if you have a ping program on your tablet you can use that to ping apex. That might get you the IP.

Your not using fusion are you? That would allow access but you can't fix a module with fusion.
Unfortunately a device with Ethernet cable may be only option. Any friends or neighbor with a laptop?

Dave's-reef
I would try some different power cycles to see if you can recover. First always make sure display is plugged in first. Don't plug it in after.

This worked on the new display unit
Thank god
Thank you for your help

Back